Montreal to Quebec!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Québec City
March 31st 2009
Published: March 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Been a busy few days...here's what i have been up too!

Montreal hostel was amazing - it was such a friendly place, small, but everyone knew everyone and met a load of great people there. Within Montreal itself there is not a great deal to see...

I went to a cathedral that was nice, and the old town was nice - but it was tiny and isn't anything spectacular. The city has got a fantastic vibe to it, its a liberal place with lots of students and a big gay district. So the general vibe is good and everyone is very friendly.

Went to the Olympic Park which was ok, a bit grotty but had a cool lift tower that had some great views as well as a zoo style thing in which I saw two frogs humping ( i would have a picture to put up here but computer wont read my camera)

Me and two others went to try and watch a Montreal Candiens Ice Hockey game the other day, we were looking for touts etc but no such luck 😞 So we wandered around and tried to break in with 2 other Canadians through a door, but that wasn't opening, so we left them to it and moved on to trying unlocked doors......of which we found one. We all decided to high 5 in celebration, alas our celebrations were a little preemptive and short lived when being stopped by security and shown the door. I think playing dumb English tourist still works when getting out of trouble.

Been out a lot to experience the night life here as there is not loads to see. Nightlife has been fantastic as managed to get some locals to list out some good places to head and they weren't wrong!

The weather in Montreal was very nice and warm, jeans and t shirt weather. With there still being a lot of snow in places.

We were made to all watch hostel at 4am by our hostel night manager which was probably one of the worst idea's i have ever heard, especially when he shows you a room out back just like the rooms in hostel!

I have not missed a good kebab or chips n Cheese since being abroad as they have a wonderful dish called poutine. This is chips n gravy with cheese and you can also get shit loads of other stuff like pepperoni and salami etc on it. It is amazing, Perfect after a night out. Nice tradition we like to do after a load of drinks. What is great about the nightlife in Montreal is that there are a lot of good value bars, which all shut at 3am so you know sort of how your evening is going!

I also went up the mountain in Montreal - I can't remember its name, something like Parc Du Mont Royal. Anyway, it was pretty poor but was with my friend Luke and we invented a game called back sledging. This involves finding a iced over set of stairs, thus creating a slippery slide. Then you remove your top half of clothing and lay head first on your back and speed off down the ice! Its very painful, but brilliant fun. So in that sense - it was totally worth checking out this mountain upon which is a cross that lights up over Montreal.


Quebec!

Met 3 people in the Hostel, Richard a South African, Joleen another South African and Luke, a fellow Londoner who loves a cup of tea just like me. Richard suggested renting a car to visit Quebec; we agreed that it was a good idea. Road trip - was very very fun! Exciting times.

Richard is a legend, he is a complete Alpha male. He hunts and tracks animals for fun. (of which we are going to be taught how to do tomorrow when we take a scenic route via some woods back to Montreal)
Luke is another legend who is just English in so many ways and one of the funniest people I have met.
Joleen is another legend who is an awesome laugh who likes to call me a Legend.

Arrived yesterday in Quebec, and went to this underground dive of a bar with a live band. It was brilliant, music was great and afterwards we had a lock in with the band and few others which was awesome.

Hostel is average, nothing special nothing to shout about.

Quebec is a small beautiful city, its got a strong French feel to it, however it still has this Canadian vibe blended with snow everywhere. Its quite spectacular. Very big fan of it. But cant stay more than a couple of days - just walked around the city to day checking out everything and its beautiful.

We are leaving tomorrow as Richard has to fly out, so will be heading back to Montreal for a couple of days before going on to Toronto. We are going to drive back through a scenic route, and stop by a waterfall and a national park reserve for a bit. Which i am very excited about, especially about tracking a moose!

Quebec is possibly the coldest place i have ever been to. It is constnatly freezing and i am wearing about 6 layers a day!


I am pretty certain that is all that I have to share on here, there might be more if so ill add when I remember.

Off out to meet Luke and Jo now will update soon, most probably when i get to Toronto. Hope everyone is well!



Advertisement



31st March 2009

Tim - enjoys the fact there is a gay district in Montréal =P Also I wouldnt miss kebabs or chips and cheese either. Dont get too fat eating that poutine! Glad to hear your having an awesome time dude, keep up the good work! I'll see you soon! xxxx
31st March 2009

well done

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb