Trekkin'


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Québec City
July 29th 2005
Published: August 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hey all,

So we are trekkin around at the moment. We crossed Canada, at least 5000k's in 2 and a half days. Fun huh? All this on a Greyhound bus.......... So Canada is a lot like Australia, lots and lots of flat, flat, flat farmland. The biggest difference is the colour. It is all so green out here, green, water and swamp. On the bus we went past a Bison reserve and I saw a herd of wild bison, Bec was asleep.

We stayed at a really hippie hostel last night. Groovy man (but how do you say that in French?) We are in Quebec at the moment. All the roads signs and tourist info and everything is in French. In the rest of Canada everything is bilingual - but not in Quebec, only french here. Fortunately I have yet to meet a Quebecouise (Frenchie type from Quebec) that could not speak english. The hostel was in Tadoussac - the oldest town in White settlement in Canada, dating from 1600 (leaves Australia looking really young huh?). Tadoussac is on the Saint Lawrence River, this river is so wide it leaves most lakes in Australia for dead - the thing is HUGE! Anyway we went for a 12km hike along the Fjordland, we saw all sorts of wildlife including beluga whales and the scenery was breathtaking. In the afternoon we went out onto a little freshwater lake. We went hunting beaver. We found it too. We saw real Canadian beaver up close in its natural habitat. We saw them swimming around and we even saw one up on the bank munching away on a little tree, it was really cool. We went and saw beaver huts and beaver dams and then we went back to the hostel and drank traditional Quebecouise Gin with the beavers oil gland in it - yes it is as bad as it sounds.

A couple of days of days ago we went to the beach in Ontario. Beach? Well it was on the Shores of Lake Ontario, one of the 5 great lakes. It is fresh water and would have been about 25-26 degees. It even had little 2 foot waves. We stayed in for ages and did some body surfing, it was awesome. If you got dumped you didnt care, not salt down your mouth or in your eyes! Why cant the beach be like that at home? you didnt even need to shower to get the salt off before it dries and becomes crusty! If the Saint Larwence river was huge you could easily mistake Lake Ontario for the ocean - you cannot see the other side of the lake and it is the smallest of all the great lakes!

Advertisement



3rd August 2005

Wow, sounds great. 25-26 degrees in the water, that sounds really nice.
15th August 2005

Jealous
sigh, you get out of the puss and THEN see the world. I don't get it. While you were in Canada I was in Gove. When you get back I am going to find you woz, and have a little talk to you lol. Narf

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb