First day of Spring


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Portneuf
March 20th 2011
Published: March 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Cool dude snow boarderCool dude snow boarderCool dude snow boarder

It was above zero but you wouldn't know it the way P bundle's up!
Wow the first day of spring actually felt like it here. In talking to Karen back home I guess it was another winter snow storm there. P had his last day of snow board lessons this morning. We had been really worried that he wouldn't get in the lessons yesterday and today as we had downpouring rain all night on Thursday and on friday the hill looked completely saturated. But they worked the hill and it got below zero friday and saturday nights so the hill was actually in pretty good spring skiing conditions. He has really done well with the lessons and was proud of himself today as he was able to turn back and forth on the last part of the run down the hill. If by chance the hill is still open next weekend I told him I would bring him for some extra free boarding if he wanted (considering it has been almost 15 years since I skiied that could be interesting!).

After the lesson we came back home and were going to try to snowshoe / walk to the river for a picnic but P was too tired. It was a beautiful warm sunny day so we decided to have our picnic on the deck. Claude built a fire in our outdoor firepit and we cooked our first outdoor hotdogs and marshmallows of the year. It was great! then the neighbour came by and offered for us to use the snow mobile any time we wanted, so we took him up on the offer and used it to go to the river. Claude took turns shuttling the boys and I there. We took along P's sled and he sledded down the steep trail through the woods with me running after or in front of him. That was a good fast sledding run! M loved the speed of the snow machine (not surprising!). We hadn't been to the river since we were there with Mom and Dad back in December. It was starting to flow again. It froze at a high water level so it should be pretty powerfull this spring with the spring runoff. clauded spotted some bear poop on the trail so I guess the black bears are awake. Didn't know we had one in our area.

After Claude brought M and I back to the house, he and P took the machine out for a spin and explored some of the trails in the woods that we hadn't walked yet, so now we know where they go too. Both boys were quite keen on the snow mobile.

It was a great weekend that truly did feel like spring is on its way. The maple sap has started to run so our next big activity will probably be a visit to the sugar shacks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The river flood areas starting to meltThe river flood areas starting to melt
The river flood areas starting to melt

The grooves and hollows in the snow made interesting patterns.


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0941s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb