Montreal


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Montréal
September 25th 2021
Published: October 2nd 2021
Edit Blog Post

Visiting another City through the eyes of two heygo guides.

Patrick as part of his eastern Canada a road trip was passing through Montreal.

Several days with ones tour startin not far from the Clock Tower, erected in 1921 to commemorate the brave Merchant Navy sailors who disappeared during World War I.

Montreal’s oldest neighborhood – aptly called Old Montreal spans several blocks near the waterfront of the Saint Lawrence River, Old Montreal is home to historical sites dating back to the 17th century that showcase the city’s indigenous and colonial past.

It was 7.30am very few people were about, the skies were full of beautiful clouds giving a great back drop as we strolled around with Patrick.

Just some of the memorials and sculptures we saw on our walk.

The English Pug and the French Poodle are two bronze sculptures created in 2013 by Marc Andre J. Fortier named The Two Snobs. The pair playfully represents the snooty English and French aristocrats in Canada and their self-perceived superiority over the other.

Nelson’s Column is the city's oldest monument and is the oldest war monument in Canada. The public funds raised for building the
monument were collected from both British and French Montrealers.

Paul de Chomedey, Sieur de Maisonneuve (1612–76) was the founder and first governor of Ville-Marie (Montréal)

We also learnt about Montreal's new flag that were adopted way back in 1833. The symbols were chosen to represent the nations who founded Montreal.

The red cross represents the Christian motives and principles which governed the founders of the city.

The blue fleur-de-lys, represents the French, the original settlers of the city.

The red rose represents the English.

The shamrock, represents the Irish.

And the thistle, represents the Scots.

The new flag now includes a White pine in the center of the cross, which stands for the original indigenous presence in Montreal.

Another interesting tour discovering more of Montreal.

Resident heygo guide Dave took us to ‘The Mountain’

Parc du Mont-Royal - Montréal's green jewel, is affectionately known as “the mountain.” Inaugurated in 1876, Mount Royal Park was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted of Central Park fame. It is a magnificent urban green space featuring 200 hectares of astonishing biodiversity and natural beauty. It starts at the edge of the city just beyond
the McGill campus, rising to 764 feet tall Mount Royal (Mont Réal), the hill that gives the city its name.

The climb of around 400 steps did not phase Heygo guide Dave who regularly takes this climb to reveal a fabulous and stunning panoramic view of the city.

The twisting paths and trails were full of varying shades of autumn with more views of the city on the way down the ‘mountain’



https://www.heygo.com/patricktwomey



https://www.heygo.com/tours/scenic-panaroma-discovery


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement





















Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb