Iles-d’Orleans


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Île d'Orléans
June 14th 2022
Published: June 16th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We’re camping on the Ile-d’Orleans….and this blog today actually begins in the year 1579, in Outlines, Marne, Champagne-Ardenne, France. Jean Roy dit Desjardins (Joigny) (Lauzier) was my 11th great-grandfather, on my mother’s maternal side of the family.

All we know about Jean Roy is that he seduced Marie-Marguerite Boucquenier (Brouchu) in January 1604, and did not marry her, although she gave him a son, Olivier Roy, who was born and baptised on October 2 1604 in Saint-Andre's Roman Catholic church in Joigny, France.

Here is a link to a photo of the inside of that church today: https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q3580894#/media/File:Joigny_-_Eglise_Saint-André_2.jpg

Olivier grew up in that region of France, and became a ‘Maître Tonnelier”; that is, a Cooper, or barrel maker. He married Marie Pruneau, but she died without bearing him any children. He subsequently married Catherine Boderge, who bore him nine children, one of whom, was my 9th great-grandfather, Antoine Roy dit Desjardins.

Antoine was born on the 23 Mar 1635 in Saint-Jean, Joigny, Bourgogne, France. He grew up knowing the trade of a Tonnelier, and was a solider “de la compagnie de Froment au régiment de Carignan Saliers” in Bourgogne, France. His whole life story may be found
LaundryLaundryLaundry

They had two washers and two dryers; one of the washers wasn't working, and I had to call someone to come down and give me my money back, and put up a sign for others.
here: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Roy-302 It’s well worth the long read; it’s quite interesting.

From the reference above, “The story of Antoine ROY dit DESJARDINS is an intriguing one for two reasons. The first is that he is the ancestor of many people of French-Canadian origin living today. He and his wife, Marie Major, had only one son, Pierre, but Pierre was to be married three times and would father 19 children, 17 of whom would reach adulthood”…..”The descendants of Antoine through his son, Pierre, would bear the names ROY, ROY-DESJARDINS, DESJARDINS, ROY-LAUZIER, ROY-LAUZON and ROY-DESJARDINS-VOISINE. During his life, Pierre worked as a farmer, a cooper and a master carpenter. He died on 29 April 1734, in Repentigny, and was buried there on the next day. He was 65 years old.”

“Another reason that Antoine's story is so fascinating is that he met his end in a dramatic fashion. Antoine was murdered, and the events leading up to and following his demise are as fascinating today as any modern murder mystery. The story of Antoine and his family provide insights into what life was like in New France in the seventeenth century, including the workings of the colony's judicial system.” Click on that link for the wiki tree to read more.

So my 8th great-grandfather, Pierre Roy dit Desjardins (1669 - 1734) was married here on the island in St-Pierre on 12 Feb 1691 when he was 22 yrs old, to Marie Anne Martin. On the 7 Oct 1696 he received a concession in Kamouraska and moved there with his young family. From 1696 to 1726 he worked as a farmer on the land in Kamouraska. Before this, he worked as a Tonnelier; Cooper.

My 7th great-grandfather, Pierre Roy dit Desjardins, was born on this island where we are camping on the 2 November 1691. He was born in St-Pierre, Iles d’Orleans. He died on 13 Sep 1771 and was buried in Kamouraska, up the way a little bit from here but on the mainland and off of the island. Shelley and I were visiting this little town just yesterday, and photos of that visit may be found here.

His son, Alexandre, my 6th great-grandfather, was a Captain, and then a Major in the Quebec Militia. He was a farmer and political figure in Lower Canada. He represented Cornwallis in the Legislative Assembly of Lower Canada from 1804 to 1808.

He was born in Kamouraska on 14 Jan 1738. In 1763, he married Josephe Plourde. Roy served as a captain in the militia during the War of 1812. He did not run for reelection to the assembly in 1808. He died in Kamouraska at the age of 75. My 5th great-grandfather, Joseph Amable Roy dit Desjardins (1780 - 1873) was also born and raised in Kamouraska.

We drove over the long bridge linking Iles d'Orleans with the mainland, near Montmorency Falls, and one of the first parts of the island to pass through was St-Pierre, the district of the island where my ancestors were located. We continued east to the south eastern part of the island, the St-Francois area, where our campground was located. We had a beautiful spot that we backed the RV into. Surrounded on both sides with bushes and enough space beside us to set up the "Easy Up" mosquito tent that Rob 'n Jenn lent to us for the trip.

The first order of business was to get some laundry done. There was a laundry located on site but it was at the bottom of a rather steep hill. I had to carry the laundry and soap down by hand, wait for the laundry to finish, fold, and then walk back up the hill carrying this laundry in my arms. It was heavy and the road was very steep. I don't know how I made it, but I did!

There was a little depanneur located close by (walking distance) where we bought a few things. A 'goat cheese' fromagerie where we bought some soap. They also make cheese there, but we're not goat cheese fans. I like Norwegian goat cheese, but not the North American soft, white goat cheese.

Because of the weather, we spend most of the days indoors or under the tent. I was able to sneak in a couple of cigars to enjoy while outside reading. Naps, a movie, indoor cooking....these things occupied us until we decided to leave a day early due to the impending weather that was to come. Thunderstorms and high winds. Not good when you're driving a 13ft RV that's 28ft in length down winding highways in the rain.

So we packed up and headed home the next day. On to the next blog entry.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb