Winnipeg to Toronto


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
September 13th 2012
Published: September 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a little bit of Internet connectivity while parked in Winnipeg late Tuesday night, we moved into the hinterland. No sign of cell service (and hence Internet) until late this morning, when we began to pull into the greater Toronto area.

We switched trains in Toronto this morning, heading for Montreal. The contrast between what we've been seeing outside our window for the past two days and what we are seeing today couldn't be more enormous. Essentially, we've been going through wilderness for two days, and suddenly we are into fully inhabited countriside. Yes, we moved through farmland in eastern Alberta, Saskachewan, and part of western Manitoba, but we rarely saw a farmhouse. If civilization were to disappear suddenly, and you were stranded on the track anywhere along that route, you'd be at the mercy of Mother Nature. It would take days to walk out, even if you could figure out the right way to go and stay on your feet long enough to get there. Here, in contrast, you're never out of sight of human habitation.

Going back to the train we were on until this morning, it is the longest passenger train I've ever been on -- 29 cars. And the cars are not short: I was told the train was between half and three-quarters of a mile long. Yesterday, after breakfast, we walked to the end to see the Park Car. (Our car was the fourth one behind the engines.) It's quite a hike, though narrow aisles, and bumping along at high speed. (I think I'm black and blue in a few places from suddenly being thrown against a wall going over a rough bit of track.) And I somewhat unwillingly made the return trip twice, as I discovered I'd left my book in the Park Car only when I'd got back to our cabin.

Our cabin was compact, maybe six feet by eight feet. When we were first taken to it Monday night I found it a bit claustrobic, but we soon got used to negotiating movement in such a small space. By yesterday morning we learned that for us it made the best sense to have only the top bunk stowed for the day; that gave us a chance to nap during the day if we felt like it. Seats could always be had in the dome car if we didn't feel like sitting on the lower bunk. We also learned that there is one cabin per sleeping car that has an additional foot of width, and that you can request this cabin upon booking – a fact we will remember when booking our return!

These train cars have been modernized since I last took the train across Canada in 1989. Each car has 4-6 one-person roomettes, several berths (convert to beds at night, with curtains), and 4-6 two-person rooms (what we had). A few cars have one larger room that accommodates three sleepers, and some of the two-person rooms have folding walls that allow two to be opened up to accommodate a part of four sleepers. There are also on-board showers, one in each sleeper car! We simply had to try this, and I confess our expectations were not too high, but we were both pleasantly surprised. They are very commodious, with hot water and a separate change area. It was really refreshing to enjoy a shower mid-trip.

Our long, long train had two dining cars and four dome cars. Unlike the last time I did this trip, we never had any problem getting into a dome car. There were also many organized on-board activities, including wine tasting (free!), bingo, movies, jigsaw puzzles, board games, and trivial pursuit.

The food was excellent and abundant and was included in our fare. Breakfast was always a full meal, unless you opted for less. Lunch and dinner were both three-course meals, with four main course choices and two dessert choices. Roberta and I always chose two different entrees so we could try them both, and most meals were delicious. Roberta didn't enjoy the prime rib Tuesday night – she said it was too tough – but I tasted hers and thought it was OK. If after all this you managed to get hungry between meals you could help yourself fruit, juice, cookies anytime.

The train we caught today is just a simple day-car from Toronto to Montreal. But every seat has two 110 volt sockets and there is free wireless in the cabin. The lunch was the first meal we've had to buy in three days -- sandwiches, chips, juice, pop, coffee, etc.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



13th September 2012

heaven on earth
Canada is beautiful and must say nothing beautiful like that place. mother nature has created few places on this earth while she was resting.... they are simply amazing.. another one is stlucia.. and a holiday in stlucia is a dream come true... www.stlucia.cc
13th September 2012

I'm so jealous!
It sounds like you are having a wonderful start to your vacation and we're looking forward to being a stop along the way. btw, the McGovern clan Thanksgiving dinner will be at our place and we hope you stick around to meet all and sundry.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb