1) Preparation and Flight to Accra


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
January 26th 2010
Published: January 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 1: Today was our first day of orientation.



We learned a great deal about each other today. We had to describe why we had volunteered for the Ghana assignment. We played a card game where no one was allowed to talk after we had all been given the rules of the game. What we didn’t know was that everyone was given different rules. The people who were aggressive seemed to have no problem imposing their view of what we were playing and enjoyed the game, oblivious of the others seemingly misunderstanding of what the rules were. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

We were provided with a wealth of practical information on Ghana and the culture of the country. A highlight in the afternoon, we spent our time with a PHD student fron Ghana, June Appiah. She is a native Ghanian and she gave us an overview of her country and what to expect. She described her country’s customs, culture and people. I came away from this much more enlightened, the book I had read painted a much more narrow perspective on the country. She was great.

We ate at the Keg Mansion and Susan Tustin joined us.

Day 2: more orientation.



Day 3, Wednesday, Jan 27th



In the morning we heard presentations from CCA staff who have been to many 3rd world spots, including Ghana. They related their own personal experiences and gave us tips on how to interact with the people we would come across.

Women’s issues and information about the country were presented.

In the afternoon we left for the airport to catch the 5:30 flight to Frankfurt.


In the afternoon we left for the airport to catch the 5:30 flight to Frankfurt.

Day 4, Thursday, Jan 28th



Frankfurt; many flights were delayed due to a snow storm coming in from the north. There was only a dusting on the ground. The locals said they were having Toronto weather. Flights to the UK were cancelled.

In Frankfurt, as usual, I was pulled out of the security line up to have my bags searched. It must be my face! Somewhere out there, there is an arch criminal who looks like me.

Our flight was on time. We arrived in Accra at 4:30pm. Jim, the husband of one of the coaches ( Lynn) did not have a visa and was stopped at the customs area. He had to buy one right there at 2x the price at home.

The country had just won the semi-finals for the African Football (Soccer) Cup. They were in the finals for the first time since 1992. Accra was CRAZY with people dancing in the streets. Large screen TVs were everywhere and people crowded the streets around these outdoor screens.

IT WAS HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!! 40 celsius and humid.

Central Hotel was pretty basic but it had towels, soap, toilet paper and sheets that were actually changed daily .... Sheer luxury.

On the way to dinner we were all approached by people trying to sell us things. A young man typically approaches you and asks your name and how to spell it. Before you know it he has created a bracelet with your name on it. The cost for the people who bought, 10 cedes. These guys say they use the money for school.

The coaching team all had dinner at Momma Mia’s. We all had pizza and it was quite good. The beer and water were especially appreciated.

After dinner we returned to the hotel and met the Irish Coaches, Damien and Barry.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



14th February 2010

jan 27, 2010Airport
we travel to the Airport in Toronto

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0736s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb