Torontos Stalking Pussy


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
April 13th 2009
Published: December 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

As it was a public holiday we were a bit worried about getting to the airport on public transport. We had taken the precaution of booking a bus the night before, but it turned out the hostel lady had completely ballsed up and booked us a bus that would have arrived at the airport after our departure time. Nice one. So we found a taxi driver hastily, who in the end with his maniacal driving got us to the airport pretty early. An uneventful flight later we were in Toronto. As soon as we hopped off the subway train that had transported us from the airport to the central city we were asked by a kind local if we needed directions. This happened in Montreal too, a good sign that the people are receptive to tourists.

Our hostel was pretty central, which meant that once again we could do our budget walking tours, and by budget I mean free. The Greyhound station was nearby so we strolled there first and booked our trip to Niagara falls for the following day. We explored the central city as we looked for somewhere to eat. After a pub lunch we checked out the monstrous CN Tower, which is over half a kilometre high (553 metres) and held the worlds tallest free-standing building title until 2007. It dominates Torontos skyline making other high rises look like they e made of lego. The nearby Sky Dome baseball stadium still holds a world record for the largest scoreboard in the world at 10m by 35m. Its a shame they weren playing whilst we were there as Id love to go see a game live.

Our explorations also took us to China town, the port area and to the business district where we heard a business man yelling into his phone "You piece of sh!t". It was probably stock-share-trader-markety stuff. If you go by the movies those guys are always yelling into their phones.

We spent a second day in Toronto after our trip to Niagara falls. It was a pretty chillax day, we did some washing and laughed at the huge fat cat that was stalking us from the neighbours house. We watched the all important Arsenal - Villa Real clash which the Gunners took out 3-0. Next up was the distillery district and the St Lawrence markets, where we passed the Ice Hockey hall of fame and famous flat-iron building.

Toronto locals claim that they have the longest Street in the world - Yonge Street, so we paid that a visit. It has a section that looked a bit similar to New Yorks Times Square with big screens and bustling crowds and traffic. It had loads of shops so if you e a female or having a shopping addiction then youd love it. What I loved was the huge Thai meal that we had. I think the locals have an obsession with titanic* things: Lookout towers, stadiums, screens, streets and apparently Thai curries. Im starting to understand why North Americans in general are overweight.

* Did anyone realise that titanic actually meant huge, and here I was just thinking it was a ship. Thats my one thing I learnt for the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb