Yonge And Eglington


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
November 19th 2003
Published: November 19th 2003
Edit Blog Post

This is much further north than the other entries (Eglington Stop on the TTC Northbound subway line) but thought I would mention it for the following: Yesterday I was on the subway and noticed a small sign in the carriage with part of the London Tube system. It was an ad for a new online travel website. I thought it was interesting as I've been on the Tube many times, and brought back some memories. As I passed Eglington today (not as far there yesterday) on the subway there were all these signs saying "underground" with the red cicle and blue rectangle and for a few seconds I thought I was on the Tube or that TTC had been bought by them. Then I remembered the ad from the day before they had filled up most of the advertising space on the walls of the subway stop but the way it was done it looked just like official signs and maps, with the company logo small to the side. Probably will only be there for a while but was like being teleported. There are a couple Pubs with that logo back south in the EntertainmentDistrict too "Picadilly Circus" just NW of John and King, and what used to be called "Kings Underground" a small basement lounge just east on King (King and Peter)now a different name but they have the sign still inside.

This Eglington intersection is interesting too when you go above ground it used to be a bit run down but to the NW where used to be just office towers they have added a whole underground section with shops, large bookstore (Indigo), Megaplex Cinema. A bit north as you walk along the east side there are several traditional english pubs (the only difference I find is that in england all the pubs server Indian food here they don't). As well is the Club Manhatten Fuel (Used to be called Berlin) they have Salsa dancing Tuesday nights in a city where tuesdays is a bit quieter than say London or New York.
Just beside is Yuk Yuks a fun comedy club.
A bit north of that is "North 44" an award winning but expensive restaurant (the kind that pours the soup into the bowl at your table).

Just SE is the Art Shoppe a high end furniture store. Very expensive but nice (and free) to walk around in there like being in an issue of Architectural Digest.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb