half way party in progress


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Thunder Bay
July 10th 2006
Published: July 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

glow in the dark manitobaglow in the dark manitobaglow in the dark manitoba

Canola fieldsstretch as far as the eye can see, but strain the eyes to look at them too long because they are so bright!
Somewhere this week we figure that we have reached half way on our trip by distance, but since we are not sure of the exact place, we decided to have a week long party! why not? It started with a 3 day canoe trip in gorgeous Quetico Park followed by a relaxing day in Thunder Bay chez my good friend, Fiona, where we took in the World Cup soccer and Blues Fest festivities, not to mention the infamous Finnish pancakes. Thanks Fiona and Jeff!
To re-cap up from my last entry; most noteworthy is that we are now a group of three on the road. In Pipestone, Manitoba we met up with Dan, a young man from Chicago who was on his way to Vancouver but after a few weeks of solo riding he was in need of company. When we teased about him changing directions and heading east with us he decided very spontaniously to take us up on it! Great! I think he was Really sick of headwinds... not sure if they are better or worse than our singing though.
From there we rode through Winnipeg where we stayed with Karen, the daughter of a couple whom we had
Dan's sporting the pompomsDan's sporting the pompomsDan's sporting the pompoms

This photo is for you, Jenna! he loved them.
met in SK. She we a great host to whom we owe oodles of thanks.
We had a temporary scare that we may be stuck in Manitoba forever when leane's peddal crank just fell off one evening, but it turned out to be repairable so Dan was able to finally see another province of Canada after 1500 km back and forth in the same one! The lakes and hilly landscape in Ontario were most welcoming, especially to Leanne who I think will never venture that far away from swimable water in the summer again! We frequently take advantage of a refreshing dip as a quick break.
We pushed to hit Kenora by Canada Day so that we could enter our bikes in the parade dressed up as the CPR railway. Some people even could tell what we were! not just random cardboard boxes running into each other.
That brings us up to date. Keep your fingers crossed for us on the highway 17 along Lake Superior! We have heard some scary biking tales of that section, but yes, mom, we will be careful!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

canada day costumecanada day costume
canada day costume

If you can't tell, we are the CPR train.
leanne in blissleanne in bliss
leanne in bliss

A floating lunch is exactly how leanne likes it.
hockey inukshukhockey inukshuk
hockey inukshuk

In Atikokan they really take hockey cheering seriously!


Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb