Melbourne to Canberra


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
March 2nd 2014
Published: March 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

G'day mates

Well our last day in Melbourne started off at a slower pace no driving, thank goodness, our bus tour wasn't until 4pm, so we had lots of time to explore the city. We made our way to the Old Melbourne Gaol (jail), where we toured a 19th century prision - first we toured around prision block where Ned Kelly an iconic bushranger was hanged, as well as 133 people up until the late 1840's. It was a very interesting place, then we went to the Police Watch House where we were arrested and locked up in cells to experience an environment unchanged since the police and inmates left in 1994.

Then we walked around Confederation Square, sat in the warm sun for a break, then took a walk down Hosier Lane to view lane art.

Next was our bus tour to Phillip Island to view the penguin parade at dusk. It was a two-hour bus ride south of the city - but well worth the ride. This island has a very rugged coastline and much of the 10,000 hectares land is home to 10,000 residents and 16,000 breeding pairs of little penguins - the smallest penguin in the world- measuring about 23 cm high.

We gathered at Summerland Beach at dusk and watched as these little penguins waddled from the sea up to their burrows around the island. They make this little chripping sound as they move along, sometimes running back towards the water or stopping to prune themeslves - you couldn't take any photos sadly, but I have to admit they were the cutest little things. They come ashore at dusk to avoid their predators - it takes roughly three hours for them to all make it ashore - for a couple of days before heading back to the sea before sunrise. There is even a sign in the parking lot telling you look under your vehicle for penguins before moving.

The next morning it was off to the Snowy Mountains ... but not until another awful drive thru the city ... we don't like driving in Melbourne - lots of people, cars and trams but we survived.

Our drive to the mountains was filled with ever changing landscape and windy roads, as we arrived in Khancoban and to the Queen's Cottages for the night ... where we had a beautiful view of the mountains from our room balcony... as we listened and watched the cockatoos. We also watched a large number of kangaroos moving round the fields as I tried to sneak up on them for a photo - nothing like having 25 or more Kanagroos watching you.

After breakie it was off to the mountains for some driving on windy, curvy, steep narrow roads with some awesome views as we headed to Canberra - Australia's capital city for two nights. This was also a chance for us to meet up for dinner with Don Thornton again, as he was here with work.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb