Adelaide... to Outback


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
February 25th 2014
Published: February 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

G'Day Mates

We arrived at our hotel, parked the rental and went on a walk-a-bout of Adelaide, South Australia. First place we headed was Rundle Street one of the main streets for food and shopping. Neat street with a mix of new and old buildings, there was also a Fringe Festvial going on and a Garden of Unearthly Delights - just like being at an old fashioned circus - lots of strange acts and shows.

Then it was a stroll through the Botanic Garden and park with temperatures around 26C it wasn't a bad walk. We seen some very large Red Gum trees and other palnts native to Australia. Then after a rest we drove to Port Adelaide for a look around, then off to the Adelaide Harbour where we found a nice long pier with lots of local fisherman trying to catch crabs.

The next morning it was off to the beach, about 30 minutes from downtown... Adelaide is known for its beautiful white beaches. We decided to pick Brighton Beach with it landmark Arch of Remembrance as the gateway to the jetty, the start and finish of South Australia's largest ocean swimming event - the Brighton Jetty Classic. The beach was beautiful, especially since the temperature was 28C by noon. Even at 8pm it was still in the mid- 20's.

As we left Adelaide behind it was time to head to the Barossa Valley to taste some of the best wines in the world ... Jacob's Creek was our first stop. The valley is very beautiful with a of mix of green grape vines and rolling hills. The Jacob's Creek vineyard was beautiful with a 200 year old Gum Tree and nice walking path - yup it was named after the creek. The next stop was Wolf Blass... another beautiful spot and we had the place to ourselves which was nice.

Then it was off to the outback for a couple of days... humm! you drive hours before you meet or see another vehicle - it really was in the middle of nowhere, and our temperature hit 36C, which is cooler for the locals. We tried to drive over the Grampans Mountain Range but the road was closed due to the huge forest fires, so we took another route to Warrnambool our last stop before the Great Ocean Road.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



26th February 2014

Great Blog
Keep the blogging going, we are living vicariously through you.

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1020.9kb