Cairns, Queensland Australia


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
April 13th 2011
Published: April 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Kuranda, AustraliaKuranda, AustraliaKuranda, Australia

Barron Falls, Kurnada
G'Day mates:
Well the weather has turned for the better, this morning we woke up to sun and at 9:30 it was already 29 C. Today Gil showed us the Copperlode Damn just outside the city of Cairns, to get there we had to drive up the mountain where we had a beautiful view of the entire area. Once we came down the mountain we drove to Crystal Cascades - a waterfall and swimming hole which runs off the mountain. Next we drove to the city centre and seen several trees which were half full of huge Flying Fox bats.

Sunday was also another nice day 30C plus temperatures for our trip to Port Douglas for the Sunday morning market. A lot of crafts and local art at this outside market and the coconut man - after taking off the outside skin a hole was drilled in the coconut, we drank the liquid and took the coconut back where it was cracked and the flesh shredded with a small hand held drill then they cut up banana and added honey- it was very yummy... Next we went to Four Mile Beach to get a few rays, it's a beautiful beach
Port Douglas, AustraliaPort Douglas, AustraliaPort Douglas, Australia

Coconut man peels the outer skin off the coconut...very yummy
but no one could swim that day - due to high winds they couldn't put out the nets for protection from the stinger jellyfish.

Monday morning we took a skyrail to Kuranda (a small village in the rainforest) skimming the top of the rainforest. We made two stops - on the first stop we had an aborginal guide tell us about rainforest plants and trees. Next stop we got off and viewed the Barron Falls and a little history on the area. Then we continued onto Kuranda where we walked around the markets and a final hike thru the rainforest where Fred was introduced to a vine named "Wait-a-While" and has the scars to prove it. We took a 100 year old scenic train back down the mountain with some very beautiful viewpoints which at times were very steep.

Next morning was an early one as we boarded a bus to Port Douglas where we boarded a CAT for the 52 km trek to the outer Great Barrier Reef and a full day of snorkelling. With sun (32 C)and calm seas we snorkelled at three spots on Opal Reef - some of the most beautiful coral and fish we've ever seen. We passed over the location on the inner reef where Steve Irwin (crocodile hunter) lost his life to a stingray.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



16th April 2011

Beautiful pictures
I am so enjoying your beautiful pictures and it's great knowing what you are up to. I wish you would have had more sunshine, but vacations are not about weather, they are about be together and making memories. All is well here, Yopie is counting the days to retirement, only nine more working days! Becky got a work term at the NSAC - ya!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, if it would just lead to a job, all would be well. David's son Christian and his wife have had another son. Mum has seen him once and is going to a birthday party at Christian's today, so will see the baby, Gavin, again. I've yet to meet him. Mel and Stephen are doing well, very excited about our trip to France and England, less than three months now. Take care of yourselves, looking forward to your next report. Love you guys, Dar.
16th April 2011

Looks like fun!
Hi guys, Glad to see your trip is going well. Looking forward to seeing some more pictures. Take care, John and Sue

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb