New South Wales, Australia


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
April 18th 2011
Published: April 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Nelson Bay, AustraliaNelson Bay, AustraliaNelson Bay, Australia

A few wild kangaroos
G'Day mates:
After an early morning good-bye to Gil, we headed to the Cairns Airport for our 6am flight to Newcastle, New South Wales. Looking out the window as we were coming into Newcastle airport you could see beautiful white sand dunes for miles.
Upon landing we met up with our sailing friends (Don and Hilary) this time at their place in Corlette. Our first afternoon we drove around the local area checking out the beaches and bays. We also seen our first large number of kangaroos and a koala.
Next morning we drove to Soldiers Point, next hiked to the top of Tomaree Head where we were greeted with the most amzing views of the coastline, beautiful white sand, emerald coloured waters... I'm not sure why Don and Hilary live here. Tomaree was also the site of the WW II Fort Tomaree radar site and several old ammo bunkers. After the hike we headed to a small litehouse for coffee and scones.
Next day we set out for Oakville Farm to feed the kangaroos and wallabees and other Australian animals. Then it was off to the sand dunes at Stockton Beach, near Anna Bay - these white, fine sand dunes
Nelson Bay, AustraliaNelson Bay, AustraliaNelson Bay, Australia

A koala in the wild
and beaches went as far as you could see - it was beautiful. After lunch we went to Dutchies Beach to take in a bit of sun (the temperatures are cooler here 23C) this beach was tucked away in one of the many bays around this area. Again can't see why Don and Hilary would want to live here... That evening was Fred's and Don's Bundy tasting night (Bundy is the nickname for Bunderberg Rum). And after an evening of 4 types of Bundy their glass of Bacardi's didn't cut the grade. (Fred's comment: Bicardi tasted like crap !!)
Saturday we drove to Hunter Valley for some wine tasting... I love this country. Even in the rain we had a great time and I'm still trying to find a bad Australian wine. We sampled many great wines, champagnes, Port and my favourite Muscat... and even a little chocolate for good measures. We spent the nite in Hunter Valley enjoying a great dinner and of course more excellent wine with Don & Hilary.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Nelson Bay, AustraliaNelson Bay, Australia
Nelson Bay, Australia

Our first night
Stockton Beach, AustraliaStockton Beach, Australia
Stockton Beach, Australia

amazing sand dunes and beach
Tomaree SummitTomaree Summit
Tomaree Summit

Amazing view...


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb