Back In The Big Smoke


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
April 16th 2010
Published: April 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

RD in OttawaRD in OttawaRD in Ottawa

The beautiful buildings of Parliament Hill in the background.
STARTING LINE-UP: Ted, Davis, a whole bunch of cats

PITCH CONDITION: Less than ideal...but we can't complain after how awesome the last few days have been!

MATCH OVERVIEW: A fairly sedate match, lacking the intensity of previous outings but nonetheless obtaining the required result.

PLAYER INFO: After his huge effort yesterday, Lennon was rested so Ted and Davis were required to pick up the slack.

HIGHLIGHTS:

- Spent the day exploring Ottawa on foot. Bit of a change from the tiny towns and rural setting of the previous few days!

- Not a huge amount of "touristy" things to do, especially if like us you are too tight to pay for museums etc. Was just nice to stroll around and get a "feel" for the city.

- Quote of the Day: Davis wanted to buy some stamps to send postcards to Australia, and as we wandered past a huge post office she asked if we could duck in to buy some. Ted responds with "Are you sure we can get stamps in there?" Ummm....it's a POST OFFICE...not sure you can find a better place Teddy!

- Loved the ByWard Market area, very cool vibe
ByWard MarketByWard MarketByWard Market

ST checks out the ByWard Market area.
and loads of eating options. So where did we have lunch? An Irish pub of course. Hmmmm.

- The major touristy thing to check out is Parliament Hill. The buildings are absolutely stunning and the views over the river and the rest of the city are pretty darn awesome too.

- Superhero Moment of the Day: While waiting at the base of some steps to take a picture of the massive Peace Tower, Davis noticed a man halfway up the steps (taking a picture of his companions further up) step backwards and stumble off the step and start to tumble all the way down. She lunged for him and managed to break his fall (and stop him face-planting into the concrete) with a world-class rugby tackle! Sadly at the expense of her own shoulder joint (it's fine now). Of course Ted just stood there. Thanks Ted!

- Davis' heroism was rewarded with a visit to the Cat Sanctuary, located right in in the midst of the Parliament buildings (where else?). Tell you what, these cats have some prime real estate - sensational views across the river and surrounded by beautiful trees.

- Ted finished off the day by sampling
Parliament HillParliament HillParliament Hill

ST in front of the main building on Parliament Hill. NOTE: the fetching pink scarf constantly attached to his man-bag is for RD - honest!
an ostrich burger - yes, a burger made with minced ostrich meat. His verdict: "It was good. Very strong flavour - not for the faint-hearted (ie Davis and her aversion to dark meat)." He demolished it in a way that would make Homer Simpson proud.

SUMMARY: A welcome day of quiet strolling around a new city. Was nice not to have too many "must-do" things on the list. Ottawa is clean and friendly with a beautiful river and some stunning buildings. Not quite got the "vibe" of Toronto...but then again it is much smaller. Very glad we made the journey to check it out.


Miss you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Another Pet for RDAnother Pet for RD
Another Pet for RD

Getting acquainted with a snuggly new friend. NOTE: the cats are fully vaccinated and we washed our hands afterwards!!!
View to GatineauView to Gatineau
View to Gatineau

ST makes the rather drab city of Gatineau (across the river from Ottawa and in Quebec) look goooooood.
Sparks StreetSparks Street
Sparks Street

Apparently the main shopping drag...was actually pretty quiet for knock-off time on a Thursday afternoon so not sure where all the "cool" people are!


17th April 2010

Helpful
I'm realy enjoying the updates and pics Rhyllster. Got the Canadian Lonely Planet out of the library today so your blog is really helping me pick out what I want to see... xoxo
17th April 2010

Aahh, now we know where the term 'fat cats' for parliamentarians came from...

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb