Niagara Falls


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara Falls
October 21st 2012
Published: October 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Up at 5am this morning to depart San Francisco at 7:40am. You really do need to allow yourself plenty of time when checking in at US airports. The locals kind of shrug it off but all the Aussies we have met in our travels have all found it the most negative part of travelling here. I guess the consolation prize is that once you are through all the security you are travelling with a lot of peace of mind there will be no trouble enroute.

The service from United was actually pretty good. We left right on time and flew in to Washington DC for a change to a smaller jet for the trip to Buffalo, NY. Both services were on time departing and arriving, the service on board was friendly enough. The negative was the leg room on the Boeing 757, we were definitely in pygmy class and for what was a 5 hour flight from San Francisco to Washington pygmy class is not what you want from my or Vicki's height.

The little regional jet that took us from Washington to Buffalo was very comfortable. You are in the air for an hour, long enough to have a coffee but nothing else. On arrival at Buffalo our chauffer Bob picked us up and took us up to our hotel in Niagara Falls. The Radisson is really nice and right at the falls. From our 6th floor room we can see the falls, at least the mist from them, and in the background is the bright lights of Buffalo.

We had very little time for food today. Once we worked out what was going in Washington with our connection we had time for a sandwich and a cold drink and even then Vicki finished hers on the plane to Buffalo. By the time we were ready for dinner tonight we were looking forward to a nice meal and friendly Canadian service. We got the friendly service but the food was way over priced and not that flash. Our entree arrived after our main, my sirloin was more like a medallion and the mushroom sauce tasted like maple syrup. And Buffalo Wings, talk about salty balls of fire. Our waitress pretty much said welcome to Niagara Falls, expect to be hit with really inflated prices - she was oh so right. And she confirmed that Buffalo Wings are actually meant to be salty.

The highlight of our day was talking to our lovely cousin Zoe on the phone for an hour or more before dinner. Both Vicki and I are really excited about tomorrow, me catching up with cousin David after 35 years and meeting his wife Zoe and daughter Caitlin for the first time - can't wait.

No photos today but expect plenty tomorrow of the falls - till then good night from Canada.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1014.3kb