Dundurn Castle of Hamilton, Ontario


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Hamilton
January 11th 2011
Published: January 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Dundurn Castle was derived from the architectural form of neoclassical and took three years to complete. It was completely finished in the year of 1835. It holds seventy-two rooms on a square footage of 1700 meters and features all the latest conveniences of gas, lighting & running water of which is seen in todays age of society!!!

The City of Hamilton had purchased Dundurn Castle in the 1900s for a mere price of $50,000. The City has spent around $3 million in renovations, in order to renovate 42 rooms for showcasing within they're original state for the viewing eyes of the public. To begin with, there were 72 rooms around the time Sir Allan MacNap had purchased it. One will see that within all the rooms renovated that they have been restored to a more resonant period of 1855. Of which MacNab, was at the peak of his career as a lawyer, landowner, railway tycoon & the Prime Minister of the United Province of Canada!!!

When on tour, one will see that the Tour Guides dress in costume in order to simply bring forth a resonate feeling of simply being transported back into the daily life of the 1850s, while getting a full History lesson on the City of Hamilton & of MacNabs family. One will also find that these guides will talk greatly about Sir John A MacDonald & Sir Allan MacNab. Of which, Sir Allan MacNab was one of the later Prime Ministers of the United Province of Canada within the years of 1854 & 1856. Within the grounds of this Estate, one will also find the Hamilton Military Museum. This Museum holds many displays and a Library of many artifacts on the War of 1812, the Rebellions of 1837, Boer War, World Wars I & II, as well as the Role Women played in the Military!!!

Hamilton was home to the first British Prime Minister of Canada. It took 3 years to construct & build up Dundurn Castle, in which Sir Allan MacNab had started the construction in the year of 1832 and the entire project was finished in the year of 1835. The land in which Dundurn Castle resides on, was bought from a pioneer Richard Beasley. As of today, one will see how the Castle was reconstructed & restored to its splendor years of 1855!!!

One can also find on the Grounds & Entrance Way a beautifully crafted Gateway. In which, originally was exported from England and has been restored since. During the restoration stages, there have been a few sources of natural stone placed into a Stone Pillar and came from the Dundas escarpment. And in 1931, parts of the gate had been removed and placed on the Chedoke Golf Course Grounds!!!!

One will find a very beautifully mysteriously looking building on the grounds, in which no one seems to know the purpose of. But Urban Legend speaks of it being for the sole purpose of holding many underground tunnels leading from the Castle to various parts of the Estate, and one of the Entrance Ways was through this Mysterious Building!!!!

Some of the Urban Legends speak of the Tunnels & Castle being haunted with visitors from the beyond. Some tourists & staff of the Castle have heard on numerous occasions mysterious music, of which is also accompanied with singing. In the year of 1813, there were 11 men hung for treason across from the Castle & during the same time period there was an outbreak of Cholera, and the victims of this plague were laid in sheds near the property. Some say that many of these spirits still roam the land in which the Castle sits on, or perhaps they use the Mysterious Building to take comfort in. Many Historians still haven't found any answers to why this building stands!!!

One couple had noted that while they were taking some professional wedding portraits at the Castle, they had noticed an unfamiliar face in the photos. The bride had taken the photos to be investigated, and the conclusions drawn from this investigation concluded to being simply a mirror reflection of some nearby trees, or the grounds themselves. Where as others, including a psychic are very convinced that the face is the face of Sophia Mary MacNab. In which, she was the daughter of Sir Allan MacNab's second Marriage to Mary Stuart.

If one is interested in the further study of Sophia MacNab, the Daughter of Sir Allan MacNab. She kept a Diary of her life, of which had been written within the walls of the Dundurn Castle, and is called: "The Diary of Sophia Macnab written at Dundurn Castle, Hamilton, 1846, Age 13." Where she mainly focuses her entries on her daily day to day life & activities; the shared bond amongst her mother & her while partaking in activities, and then of her mother's declining health condition & her death; and that she also speaks of other family member's illnesses, and much much more on the relation to the social history within that periodical time of society within Hamilton!!!

If one is into the History of Hamilton & touring Historical landmarks. Hamilton has a few interesting places to take note on and check out. One can find such interesting sites as the Battlefield House Museum, Hamilton Museum of Steam & Technology, Westfield Heritage Village, Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and much much more!!!!

To find out more about what the City of Hamilton offers, check out this website for a full listing on museums & history, outdoor activities, restaurants & shopping, sports & recreational activities, Tours & Festivals, Performing Arts & Special Events and much much more: http://www.hamilton.ca/CityDepartments/PlanningEcDev/Visitor/
http://wikitravel.org/en/Hamilton_(Ontario)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb