29th June 2008


Advertisement
Published: July 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

29th June 2008
This morning it was still a bit cloudy but it had stopped raining. Amy starting the morning with a run whilst Dinah went for a walk (with camera of course).
We had to start collecting our things together and packing for the next leg of our travels.
Amy took off kayaking with Jaqueline on Paint Lake, and after an hour or so of sitting in the sun on the deck and watching the chipmunks and the humming birds we decided that we should go out in the motor boat to look for them.
We then sat down to a mid morning brunch of 'wife saver' which Susie had made earlier. This is egg, pototo and ham on top of bread baked in the oven. Then it was a mad scramble to get Amy, Bob and myself off to Algonquin in time for our half day guided canoe trip round the lakes and creeks in the National Park. It was sad to say goodbye to the Davies as they have been such good hosts and we had a wonderful few days with them.
We got to the Portage Store at Canoe Lake on time despite sat nav problems and driver arguments, (well there really is only one road through the park and very little traffic).
The three of us piled into a Canadian style canoe with Amy at the bow and Bob at the stern trying to keep the canoe pointing in the right direction. The canoeing was brilliant and we wished we had more days to spend as we could only do a couple of small creeks running into Canoe Lake, in four hours. The highlight of the trip was the moose and calf we spotted grazing on the water weed in the creek. She hurried away as the canoes rounded the bend but not before we had all caught sight of the magnificent beast, they are huge! Too far away for a shot from the camera. Some sights are best just remembered.
We also disturbed a beaver repairing his lodge and watched him swim away.
In this delightful tranquility a certain cell phone rang to report on the Euro 2008 football final! We then kept up with the latest score throughout the match. The two German couples were not impressed.
We had some light rain half way through the trip but it soon stopped and there was sunshine all the way to Richards' house in Wasaga Beach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb