Truro


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia
September 14th 2008
Published: October 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Truro


A little about Baddeck. Both Cal and I loved this area. Baddeck is on a lake called Bras d'Or (pronounced roughly "bra-door") which is French for arm of gold. It is a large lake right in the center of CBI that is actually an arm of the Atlantic and so salty. There is lobster and commercial fishing. Baddeck is home to many recreational boaters and there were several marinas in the area. Many of the cottages are vacation homes for people living in Sydney and Halifax. It is a very pretty little village. We have considered retiring here although I'd like to see a winter before I make a decision like that.

We had a nice conversation with our fellow B & B residents during breakfast and then it was off to the Bell Museum. The museum was very interesting and informative. There was lots of multimedia displays as well as replicas of many of his inventions including his hydrofoil and a multitude of other things.

Alexander Graham Bell is much more than just the inventor of the telephone. Mable his wife was deaf and he spent much of his life inventing different ways to communicate. He was president of the National Geographic Society, did experiments with flight including the invention of the hydrofoil, genetics and & many other things. He worked with Helen Keller when she was 13. This is from You Tube but it shows pretty much what we saw.

He immigrated to Nova Scotia from Scotland and spent time in Baddeck at his home Beinn Bhreagh and in the States. His home was located up on a hill surrounded by trees opposite the water in Baddeck. The house is not open to the public.

We spent some time there, took some pictures including this one of a little tiny demented squirrel clinging to a trash can. I "bowled" him some grapes and he seemed to appreciate that. We continued on our trip. Truro is our destination today.

The drive was uneventful and frankly not very interesting. At about lunch time we stopped in New Glasglow and had lunch at a Subway...I had a lobster sandwich...I'm not kidding.

This wasn't much of a tourist afternoon. I think we are both just bone tired and need a respite. We also need a place to do our laundry, we are officially out of clean
Phone Booths at the Bell MuseumPhone Booths at the Bell MuseumPhone Booths at the Bell Museum

Somehow, since you never see a phone booth anymore, I found this very poetic.
clothes and pretty grubby.

Not sure exactly where to go in Truro, we found a half renovated Holiday Inn. We were'nt sure whether they were open or not but stepping carefully through all the construction crap, we found out they were open and it appeared we were the only ones there. We checked in to our room and went for food. There was a restaurant on the premises, we had dinner and that was about it.










Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Demented SquirrelDemented Squirrel
Demented Squirrel

This was a tiny little guy. About the size of a chipmonk but definitely a squirrel.


Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0885s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb