Halifax and the Re-Enactment of 100 years of Canada’s Independence


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Halifax
July 23rd 2006
Published: September 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Haiifax




Halifax it the world’s second largest natural harbor and the world’s deepest natural harbor, is also the capital of Nova Scotia.
The French learned about this area from the Mi”Kmaq (mic -mak) Native Indians, but it was the Brits who saw the site’s potential and settled the area in 1749.
We drove into Halifax, parked the Bothan at the pier and took off on our bikes. It being Sunday AM it was relatively easy to get the layout of the land. Unfortunately most shops are closed on Sunday.
The Halifax Citadel National Historic Site was on our list of places to visit. Little did we know today was the culminating festivities of a week long celebration of 100 years since the British left Canada and the Dominion of Canada took over. The first event was a re-enactment of a mock battle. Full 18th Century uniforms, drums, flutes, muskets, etc. all engaged in battle, quite a colorful happening.
Next up at the Citadel was the changing of the old guard, (the British) to the new guard (the Canadians), grand displays of pomp and ceremony and a lot of political figures, including the Canadian Lieutenant Governor, add to this bag pipes and ceremonial troops. It went on and on and on, ‘til we quietly slipped away, very impressive, but over-kill.
Bob found a Pub where he got a sampler of the local beers. Dinner at Talay Thai Restaurant was wonderful. It was a busy, windy, rainy day, but fun.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Both the Canadian and US flag!Both the Canadian and US flag!
Both the Canadian and US flag!

This is the boat that Bob wants, east coast trawler
Brewery in HalifaxBrewery in Halifax
Brewery in Halifax

Bob loves to find the breweries


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb