Down East


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Halifax
April 1st 2008
Published: April 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Camping in P.E.I.Camping in P.E.I.Camping in P.E.I.

Gerry at our campground in Rustico, P.E.I.
In July 1997, not long after the completion of the Confederation bridge, my sister, Gerry and I took a short trip to Rustico Prince Edward Island. We wanted to familiarize ourselves with a part of our family history. Our great grandfather left the island in the mid 1800's to resettle in St Alexis de Matapedia.
We were only there for two nights. The first night, we set up our little tent, I thought it was a lot of fun, but my sister wasn't particularly happy with being awakened by the crows at the break of dawn. So the next night, we slept in a quaint little bed-and-breakfast called "Just-Duck-Inn".
We had fresh lobster and clams. We visited Cavendish Beach and saw the Ann of Green Gables house, but didn't visit because it was too expensive. It was a short trip, but it was lots of fun.

Our next stop is the Anapolis Valley and Halifax Nova Scotia. Unfortunately, our visit was not during apple blossom time, but in the dead, cold, of winter! The year was 2002. I had already retired, but Eddy had not. His expertise was needed in Wolfville, where his company had manufactured lighting for Acadia University.
Cavendish BeachCavendish BeachCavendish Beach

The red sands of P.E.I.
I went along for the ride. We were able to visit the Grand Pré area. Again, this has significance for me, being of acadian descent. We saw the little church dedicated to the acadian people who were deported from Grand Pré by the british in 1755. We also drove up the coast to the shores of Fundy Bay. Of course, our vista, at that point was mostly ice. But the views were quite spectacular nonetheless.
On our way back to the airport, we were able to tour Halifax. We took the ferry from Darthmouth which brought us right into the port. We then walked up to the top of the citadel. Was it cold? YES! Was it worth it? YES! We definitely have to go back in summer, it's on our list!!!
One of the highlights of that afternoon was a stop for tea in a cute teahouse not far from the harbor.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Acadia UniversityAcadia University
Acadia University

THe light fixtures you see in this photo are what brought us to Nova Scotia.
Grand PréGrand Pré
Grand Pré

The church and the statue of Évangéline, the heroine of Longfellow's famous poem.
HalifaxHalifax
Halifax

This a view of the city taken from the ferry.
At the CitadelAt the Citadel
At the Citadel

The view from the top of the city.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb