Halifax


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Halifax
June 8th 2022
Published: June 8th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We took the train from Quebec City to Halfax in a sleeper car. It is about a 19 hour trip, so the ability to lie down when we arrived at the train station at 10 pm sounded appealing. However, the idea that the train would rock you asleep is a fictional idea. It actually rocks you awake! We arrived in the early evening the next day and stayed at the Lord Nelson. Found out our room had been upgraded and that we are across the street from the Halifax Public Gardens. Seventeen acres of beautifully maintained gardens.

During our time here, found out some more about Canadian history. The Halifax explosion that occurred during WW1 and killed approximatly 2000 and injured 9000 due to 3000 tons of explosives igniting that were aboard a ship. It was the largest explosion until Hiroshima.

We found out about the expulsion of French Canadians due to thier lack of support to the English king which resulted in the separation of families and a multitude of deaths. Many were forced to Maine and Louisiana who ended up being called Cajuns.

We also visted the the Citadel which a military base that was established in the 1700s and sits on a hilltop in the middle of Halifax and has a commanding view of the harbor. Another interesting phenomena is the Bay of Fundy tides. They vary by 38 feet and it was interesting seeing the boats tied up on the soil at low tide. Also, I understand that they have tidal electrical generators due to these massive tides.

This area is also well known for lobster and Digby scallops. We can certainly attest that the reputaion is well deserved!

So on the last day before we left, we had to get a Covid test to get back in the USA. Negative result and no isolation for us!!






Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb