MV Atlantic Vision - Ferry to Nfld/Labrador


Advertisement
Published: June 23rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

A 1972 Left-overA 1972 Left-overA 1972 Left-over

Happy to leave this campsite!
June 19-20

North Sydney N.S. to Argentia Nfld.

…as of this blog all entries will be written by Miles, the co-pilot.

and Chuleta, a little friend he picked up in Rustico P.E.I.





Our fearless leader has an abhorrence for the first person singular, even avoiding books written in that person. So to alleviate writer stress she has chosen to change the approach and outlook of the blogs.

We still have not written about our ferry crossing during which we were left in the wan and our intrepid driver was up deck enjoying the comfort of a 200$ cabin with four berths, hot shower and private toilet. She had brought her own food so was not forced to Pay 28$ for an evening meal of unknown quality and/or content.

The parking lot the size of a football field was covered with vehicles; transports, buses, super-sized RV’s, Class C and Class B motorhomes, vans, SUV’s, automobiles of all sizes and boats bigger than the RV’s. Everything was loaded. What we did not know was that when docking one sleep and fifteen hours later everything would have to be backed out of the ferry.

The pets (dogs), the suitcases, the people all squeezzed into the one elevator …not at the same time … to reach level seven for the pet storage room and lounge, level eight for moderate cabins and level ten for deluxe cabins and outdoor promenade.

The cabin has four bunks, a desk, and a night stand, a generously sized washroom with a good shower head in the shower and a sink with plenty (4) plastic cups. There was no warning about not drinking the water, not as would be found at the La Manche Campsite (bummer).

…but we digress.

A round of the ship and a visit to Reception made clear that the cabin was for one person only at $203, tax being included. After suffering the spider infested sink and constant presence of June Bugs on the cement floor of the last campsite shower this space was well deserved. The evening meal with an array of selections was ignored. Breakfast would only entail the purchase of a coffee. The lounge décor was a riotous scheme of fuchsia, bubble gum pink, princess rose and maybe even an orange here and there. It could be that people slept
MV Atlantic VisionMV Atlantic VisionMV Atlantic Vision

This isone of the biggest ferries ever boarded ... ten levels.
here during the night but we cannot state this unequivocally because we were sequestered in the van, LOL.

Having arrived early a blog had been sent from the Terminal Building. On board the MV Atlantic Vision no internet was available. Apparently the service was not dependable and to end the bickering and complaining all internet was stopped. Cell coverage was not available either.

The evening was spent in the cabin, blogging and reading. Lulled to sleep by the rushing waters as the ferry plied its way to Argentia, NFLD, sleep was sound and of course because the bathroom was so close there was no need to rise in the night for a call of nature.

After a 15hr traverse, arrival was on time … Nfld. time … a half hour earlier. Docking was a problem. The announcement was made that all vehicles had to back out … no explanation was given as to why.

Luckily the wan is small enough to make a three point turn inside the ferry ‘garage’ so we were saved the anxiety of backing out over the metal access ramp.

We stopped at the first info centre. Here we discovered that
Sheer Sheer Luxury Sheer Sheer Luxury Sheer Sheer Luxury

... afterthe insects inthe last showeer this was bliss!
a reservation was necessary for Mistaken Point and the hike to the fossils. Reservation made, the wan was pointed towards La Manche Provincial Park and progress was quickly made on Route1, the Trans-Canada.

The young fella at the Info Centre said a Tim’s was down the road … fifty-nine kilometres later it was found and we had some really good chili much tastier that the one at the Lively Corner near the cottage in Ontario.

Not much to see on a big highway so not many stops made along the way. The weather was great and it was wonderful to reach the campground don shorts, dry out the wet tarp and take a walk to find the shower and toilet = comfort station. The distance was so great that a change in campsite was necessary.

The new site was wedged between tow RV’s. All windows all around had to be covered for the night. Good thing there are enough long scarves along for the trip!

THE BUGS ARE BAD!!

THE SUNSET STRIKING!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

First View of NfldFirst View of Nfld
First View of Nfld

... this shore last seen in 1952 as the Anna Salen entered the Harbour to deposit safely a stranded fishing boat picked up in the Atlantic... being eight and sea sick it was all witnessed.
The Goal is ReachedThe Goal is Reached
The Goal is Reached

The end goal of the Big Maritime Adventure has been reached. Now for a month of dawdling in and around THE ROCK.
Driving Via Trans-CanadaDriving Via Trans-Canada
Driving Via Trans-Canada

To get to La Mancha in decent time and to reach a Tim Horton's the big highway was taken and little except rock was seen.


Tot: 0.525s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb