Impromptu Sea Day at Red Bay Labrador


Advertisement
Published: July 24th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We received an EXC tour update for our tour in Red Bay the next morning; and, it seems that they decided that we would need to be ready one hour earlier than we had planned. This meant that we would need to set the alarm; which, in turn meant that I would need to make sure that my phone had the correct local time. I hadn’t bothered to adjust my phone for the one-half hour that we lost in Newfoundland and Labrador required the same half-zone setting. Back in the day when this province had been separate countries from Canada they had used the sun to determine noon local time. This was needed to have a consistent and accurate time reference for train schedules. When they did become part of Canada there was no effort to reconcile their local time with Atlantic time.

I worked on the blog after taking a shower, and we were getting ready to go on tour. A PA announcement noted that while we had arrived at Red Bay, the weather situation was still being assess as to whether we would be able to conduct a safe tender service. We looked out the window and it appeared to be clear and we could see the shore. Sharon had noted that when I had been taking a shower that it was fog as thick as pea soup.

We headed up to the Lido, grabbed a simple breakfast, and picked up the daily Sudoku on our way to the Explorer’s Lounge. I suggested that we go do the puzzle in the Showroom. To our surprise, they were ticketing tours ashore. So, it was time for the pack mule on this tour to head back to the cabin, drop off the Sudoku and pickup the camera, jackets and tour tickets. Weather was expected to be in the mid-60’s Fahrenheit with scattered showers.

About the time I arrived back in the Showroom, got our HAL tour stickers and found Sharon hidden in the back chatting it up with a perfect stranger, something about somebody losing a camera bag, and needing to make multiple trips to a Best Buy, the Captain came on the PA system and announce that we would not be able to use the tenders today. He explained that the continually changing visibility would not allow a safe tender operation. He said that it was unacceptable for the bridge to lose the ability to maintain visible observation of all tenders in the water and it was a mile tender ride to the pier. CD Linda then announced that additional items would be added to the schedule; however, she failed to mention that some previously scheduled items would be changed.

We headed back to the cabin to drop off the camera, jackets and tour tickets; and, we picked up the sudoku sheets and headed back up to the Explorer’s lounge for our daily challenge. I already had the pens in my pocket, and Sharon checked her phone to see any changes in the schedule. A couple of lectures by Stuart Sutherland had been added, and we had really enjoyed his earlier lecture. I was going to get an iced mocha; but, decided to try the ciocollo creamese instead… something chocolaty I supposed. And it was more chocolaty for sure, and it had cream in it; but, I doubt that I will get it again. Today, I restored order to the universe and was able to finish today’s sudoku first; but, just barely.

Stuart Sutherland’s 11AM talk was on what he termed “Geomythology”. He began noting that the native folklore in the Northwest of the US held images that could be viewed as a volcano and collapsed caldera and massive earthquake. This was shown to match the physical geological record in the formation of Crater Lake. Stuart noted that sometimes nuggets of truth can be gleaned from folklore. He went on to consider other popular legends such as the Bermuda Triangle and Atlantis. His conclusion was that happenings in the Bermuda Triangle are not unusual, and ultimately advised: “Follow the Money!” He noted that Lloyd’s of London does not increase insurance premiums of shipowners who choose to sail through the Bermuda Triangle, so if they don’t see any added risk in sailing these waters, that the actuarial statistics don’t lie… If there were any added risk insurance companies would not shy from increasing premiums. And Stuart seemed to be leaning towards Crete for the location of Atlantis; although, there are variances between the folklore and geological record. When he was done he apologized for not taking questions; but, he had another talk to prepare for in just two hours.

We went to lunch in the Lido and I got a shrimp lasagna and followed that with a “Daily Special” chopped salad. Sharon had some very hard to cut lamb with potatoes and veggies. I even took one of her pieces, and I couldn’t cut it either and gave up on it! We were seated by the entrance to the Lido and noticed that a steward was stationed by the hand sanitizer and was highly suggesting that everybody used it. There were some that brushed him off. A pair of girls went by and giggled that they’d already washed their hands. I noted to Sharon, this can’t be good. Someone asked the steward, “Is there a ‘problem’?” The steward admitted, “Some people have gotten sick.”

I stopped by the casino and got them to open the Fun-21 table; but, it wasn’t all that fun. Sharon didn’t do much better at the slot machines. She went to see the second lecture by Stuart on kumoto dragons. He’d been asked to provide extra content and was drawing on talks that he’d given on previous cruises. Sharon enjoyed the talk and said that when he was done Stuart said, “Now I need a really stiff gin and tonic.”

We thought that we were very early for Team Trivia at 4PM. I was offered a Happy Hour drink and asked for a Sambuca. Happy hour means that the second drink is $2. A few years back it would have been $1. Inflation! As it turns out, we were actually very late for Team Trivia because the time was changed to 1PM (this being an impromptu Sea Day).

I met Sharon after mass for dinner. We were seated at 5:30PM at a table for ten; which, I guess is the Captain’s Table in the center section: just without the Captain. I asked Sharon to order me the Mango Shrimp with aioli. I got myself the Crispy Tempura Soft Shelled Crab; and, I followed that with a Curry Pasta Fagioli soup. The shrimp was excellent and very fresh. The soup was much too bouillon-like; although, the broth was quite tasty with some zip. I’m just accustomed to a pasta fagioli with a bit more substance to it: This needed more pasta, cannellini beans, and other good stuff! I went again with the vegetarian dish: The Indian Red Lentil Dahl served over rice. It was extremely good. Sharon chose the roast sirloin dish, which was very tasty. I again went with the cheese and fruit dessert. Sharon got something new, the White Chocolate and Lime Pop. It was actually presented as a popsicle with the stick in it and every. She seemed to enjoy it. During the dinner the captain came on the speaker twice. The first time to point out there was an iceberg a few miles a way from the ship so quite a few people went to the windows to see it. He came on a 2nd time to give a health update and as we suspected from the Lido at lunchtime there had been an increase in gastro-intestine illness so they are taking extra precautions and we were told to wash our hands more.

I got to the Showroom one-half hour early and there were still a number of seats available. I found a couple of good ones in the balcony. Sharon showed up eventually. All the seats were taken in ten minutes. Naomi Edermariam gave a dance music recital on the grand piano. Starting with a few tunes by Tchaikovsky she covered music for a variety of dance types. She culminated with a very impressive intense keyboard piece that left the room standing and applauding. More than one person was shouting “Brava”.

Sharon rushed to the piano bar but wasn’t optimistic about getting a good seat. I had to open my blackjack table again. The $6 table offering 6:5 odds was packed. The $15 table had one older woman at it who was betting $500 per hand; and, sometimes playing two hands. It’s likely that they increased the table limits for her, minimum bet had probably been raised so that nobody else would likely sit down. She might not look like a high roller; but, she definitely was one. After getting a blackjack, I saw her make a $500 bet. She pushed. Then I saw her do something that I’d never seen done. She doubled her bet. She pushed again. And then she added another $500 to her bet. Then she had to hit, and hit again, and hit again. She won! Her luck wasn’t always good, and after a few losses, she decided to call it a night. I played quite a while at my lowly $6 table and was doing a bit better than holding my own. Again, I wasn’t able to win many hands in a row; although, at least I was winning most of my double downs.

Sharon came by after having enough at the piano bar. It was Canadian Music night and about the time Barry got to Anne Murray a lady came in and sat at the piano that had obviously had too much to drink. She was fawning all over Barry From Boston, saying things like “Ooh, you are cute!” Barry was trying to be cool about it, while ignoring her overtures and laughing them off; it was kind of funny at first but as it get going it sort of made it uncomfortable for everybody else. Sharon noted that a security guy was near by and conflicted about just how far he should let this go. Sharon didn’t want to hang around to find out. A bit later I got my 5-hand winning streak, and that was that. I took my meager winning to the cashier and called it a night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb