Onto Prince Edward Island


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » New Brunswick
September 21st 2019
Published: September 22nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

Up and out the door. We drove to Prince Edward Island. About a 3 hour drive. The bridge over to the island is 13k long. We hit the tourist info building then headed towards our first nights stay. We stopped at the College of Piping. As you can guess they teach you how to play the bagpipes. Not much was going on because it is a summer school. College students study there during the summer and then head back to university. We wanted to visit the Wyatt House, but our tourbook said it would be closed. When we talked to the info people, they told us to go to the archives across the street and see if we could get them to give us a tour. We told them we came all the way from California to see the house. They gave us a private tour. It was really neat. It was built in the 1860's by a father and his brother. When he died, he gave it to his 2 daughters. They lived in it until the last sister died in 1998. She donated it to the preservation association. The great thing is it is still furnished with furniture from the 1800's to the 1950's.

We spent the night in a modern B&B in Summerside.

This morning we drove over to the Canadian Potato Museum. I know it sounds funny, but it was really nice. We learned a lot about potatoes. Potatoes are the number 1 crop in Canada and especially on Prince Edward Island. After that we drove to North Cape which is at the farthest northwest point on the island. There are windmlls there and a gift shop and restaurant. We had lunch, walked around and took some pictures. Then on to Green Provincial Park. There is supposed to be a great shipbuilding museum there, but when we got there the entrance was blocked by a bunch of downed trees. Prince Edward Island got his pretty hard by Dorian. They are saying that it was the worst and most destructive hurricane on record. We headed over to Cavendish for 2 nights. Cavendish is a huge area for recreation in the summer, May to August. They hire hundreds of students to work there. Now that the students are back in school everything is shutting down. Our hotel closes on Tuesday and the popular restaurant is open for another week. There is no one here. The population after summer is about 100.

Tomorrow we tour around the National Park and then its on to Charlottetown.

I am going to try and title the last photos of the last post, also.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The Lefurgey Cultural CenterThe Lefurgey Cultural Center
The Lefurgey Cultural Center

This house was built in the 1830's
Granfather clockGranfather clock
Granfather clock

This clock still runs. It was made in the middle 1700's.


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0677s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb