Travel Day--Bar Harbor to St Andrews


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » New Brunswick » Saint John
September 26th 2012
Published: September 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Travel day



I slept in! Can’t believe it but when I woke it was after 8am. It was very windy out but warm. Marg jumped up and went right to the showers because she had a cold one yesterday. Thought if she got there early it would be warm. It was great so she came back energized and ready to lend a hand. We prepared some things then decided to have our 2nd coffee/tea watching the wind and water and the seagulls fly by. Our last hoorah for this great Bar Harbor experience.

We were off by 10:45. We traveled north and then east ending up on highway 9. The terrain changed to rolling hills then more elevation and the trees were changing more and some places were outstanding. We reached the border to Canada at 2 pm, crossed with no problems and headed for St Andrews. It is a small, used to be, fishing village that is now mainly a tourist attraction. It is ideally situated to witness the whales that spend most of the summer here getting fat on the rich feeding of the Bay of Fundy. That is exactly why we are here. I booked a trip in a zodiac to whale watch.

We found the campground with no problems and found a site with the Bay behind us. The wind is howling and the rain is threatening to pour on us at any minute. The tide is out so there is a lot of mud and sea weed. Just as we got here a bald eagle flew overhead, a good omen if there ever was one.

Off we went to town which was only a very short drive, even walkable. Town was perfect. Quaint, nicely kept, and super friendly. We just walked around, visited a few stores which welcomed Oscar then found the wharf where our tour of tomorrow will originate. By then it was time to feed Oscar and put him in the car so we could find someplace for a drink and supper.

The Red Herring filled the bill. It was just off the wharf along Water St and entertained the locals. We had a drink, fish and chips and a delightful experience.

On the menu there were some facts about the Bay of Fundy. One hundred BILLION tons of sea water flow in and out of the Bay of Fundy in one tide cycle, more than the combined flow of the worlds rivers. Think about it, all the world's rivers. Wow. And we get to witness it for 4 days.

Then the rains came. We got back to the campground and headed inside.

The time changed to an hour earlier, we are on Atlantic time. So it is 8:45 your time but time for bed for us.

We’re listening to Nora Jones, thanks Garrett, and will look at some pictures before retiring. Good night all…..


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb