On Jordon Pond


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Bar Harbor
September 25th 2012
Published: September 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


I woke this morning early after a fairly good night’s sleep, made coffee and put a warm fleece on to have my coffee outside. Marg and Oscar were still sleeping so I didn’t want to make too much noise. It was beautiful out, the sun had just risen so there was that magic light everywhere. We had a busy morning planned so I showered, got dressed and started moving things to our new site which was just the next one down. Marg and Oscar got up and helped and in no time we were moved and settled. Marg made us oatmeal for breakfast and we sat outside eating it enjoying the view.

We left at 8:30 for a wagon ride near Jordon Pond which was about 45 min away. Oscar wasn’t too happy with the horses but I thought he would settle once we were on the wagon as he was allowed to come along. He became a maniac. Marg ended up taking him back to the parking lot and staying with him while I went on the ride. So generous!

It was a ride on the carriage roads that John D Rockefeller built when he owned all this land. There are 3 bridges that we saw that were built by him, one in 1917 of round river stone. We had a lesson on the bridges construction and the skill that it took back then to accomplish such feats.

It was beautiful riding along the trails through a forest with some trees hundreds of years old. The moss was incredible. Pictures

Then it was time to get lunch on the lawn at Jordon Pond. Another must do while in the park. Marg had scallops, I had chicken salad with cranberries and walnuts and we each had a popover. They are a very airy pastry made in a muffin pan and it is so light it pops over the edge of the pan. They were served with strawberry jam and butter and were just delicious. Pictures

Then it was on to tour the other part of Mt Desert Island. We drove up one side and down the other of Somes Sound through little harbor towns Southwest Harbor, Bass Harbor and down to Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse. Pictures. I was disappointed with the lighthouse, very hard to see only if you climbed over rocks. It was a beautiful spot right at the tip of the Island.

As we drove home we both decided we had to have an ice cream cone. The search took us far and wide ending up in Bar Harbor with 5 gourmet shops to choose from. After walking around town we decided to head home and enjoy another exquisite sunset with cocktails.

Then it was fire building time and dinner. Leftovers.

It’s 9:10 now and time for bed. We are moving tomorrow to St Andrew’s, New Brunswick, Canada which means customs and who know what. Goodnight!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

breaks in the wallbreaks in the wall
breaks in the wall

They don't know the real reason for the breaks in the wall but think it's an exaggeration for expansion
keystone with date 1927keystone with date 1927
keystone with date 1927

This bridge is made of round river stone


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb