Saint John


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » New Brunswick » Saint John
September 27th 2011
Published: October 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

When I woke up, Ken was not there. I didn’t even hear him get up. I get up, get dressed as he is coming in the room. We have a Lobster Bake scheduled for 1 PM today so we can take our time. We got some lattes and went to the very back of the Lido deck. We are in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada. It looks like a very industrial port. We eat breakfast and then shower. It is another warm, sunny day; maybe a little cooler but still t-shirt weather. We walked to the old City Market; kind of reminds me of Findlay Market in Cincinnati. We walked around for a while. It is a very clean city. We head back down to the harbor and have a beer and chowder at one of the many outdoor cafes. There are a lot of bees and as I swat one away from my face, it hits Ken in the eye! At first we think it stung him but fortunately it did not; may have scratched his eye. It is red and watery and hurts. So after our beer, we look for a pharmacy or some store to find eye drops which we find right away. We head back to the ship to get on our bus to the beach for the Lobster bake. I find this most adorable rain coat for Lola outside the cruise terminal; we will have time to stop there after our tour and before we get back on the ship.
The bus takes us to the Bay of Fundy, to a beautiful park: Dominic Park. It has a beach right along the Saint John River. The crew has our food ready and we sit on picnic tables under a shelter right along the tree lined shoreline. We sit with a young Australian couple with a 5 year old daughter Elizabeth. Elizabeth is not there for Lobster; they will provide a hot dog for her. We start off singing a Bay of Fundy song (to the tune of Gilligan’s island); ending with a shot of Moosehead’s Alison Ale…..our guide said this makes us true Bay of Fundies! Then we start off with big bowls of large steamed mussels and boy do they stink!! I actually like the little ones but these taste nasty. I manage to eat one because I will try anything once. Ken doesn’t like them either. The Australians eat a few of them. Our guide gives a demo on how to break the Lobster apart. Next we get in line and get our lobster, melted butter, potato salad, coleslaw and rolls. The lobster is cold. They said the best way to eat lobster is to chill it right after boiling it. It stops the cooking, keeps it tender and has more flavor. It is delicious. Ken and I don’t venture inside the lobster body and as our guide comes around to clean up she makes a comment about it. Oh well, I paid for it right? I can eat or not eat whatever I want. Fresh blueberry pie for dessert, a nice walk along the shoreline and beach and we are ready to head back. Before getting back to the ship, we stop at the Bay of Fundy, where the Saint John River and the ocean meet. Because the change in tides is so drastic, a class 6 rapid is created where they join before it evens out. It is so amazing to see. When we see it, the tide is going out and the river is pushing in to the ocean and the rapids are pretty swift. The pictures don’t do it justice.
We pick up the rain coat for Lola and get back on the ship just as the gang plank malfunctions and they hold up the line to fix it. So glad we made it back on. Now we are sitting on the balcony, enjoying the ocean view and celebrating life!!!
We meet everyone for dinner; we got there a little late so we have to wait. We wait outside the restaurant, sitting in some chairs and couches. Denny (she is 83) is sitting in a large, comfy chair and as she tries to get up, the chairs tips over sideways and she starts to tumble out. Annie and Minnie jump up to grab her. She is laughing so hard, she can’t assist in the rescue. She tells me later that she was laughing so hard, she nearly peed her pants!
The wait is too long, so we have to separate: 4 and 5. Jack, Minnie, Janice and Richard sit at one table and me, Ken, Annie, Bobbie and Denny at another.
Everyone is in a good mood and it’s one of those dinners where we just laugh a lot and
Saint JohnSaint JohnSaint John

Market, Dulce...Ken loved it...I couldn't even finish one piece
have a wonderful time. Towards the end, Annie starts to get really chilled. She started running a fever last night and her throat hurts really bad. We order some chamomile tea to warm her up. After dessert we head back to our room, read and enjoy our balcony.




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Lobster BakeLobster Bake
Lobster Bake

song we sang before our Lobster feast
Reversing FallsReversing Falls
Reversing Falls

the tide of the ocean pushes against the Saint John river
Reversing Falls Reversing Falls
Reversing Falls

the tide of the ocean pushes against the Saint John river
Reversing Falls Reversing Falls
Reversing Falls

the tide of the ocean pushes against the Saint John river
Reversing Falls Reversing Falls
Reversing Falls

the tide of the ocean pushes against the Saint John river
Reversing Falls Reversing Falls
Reversing Falls

the tide of the ocean pushes against the Saint John river


12th October 2011

Yummmmm, sign me up for next year!

Tot: 0.414s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.2154s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb