Day 6 - onwards to our destination


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
July 8th 2006
Published: July 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Gemma in Prince RupertGemma in Prince RupertGemma in Prince Rupert

One for you Dad
An early start with a Tim Horton's breakfast, then on to the station for an 8am departure. Our present of 2 bananas clearly went down well as the rest of 'Comfort' class turned green with envy when Tracy delivered us a spare breakfast from the more upmarket carriage behind us.

More bear sightings (supposedly) although Gemma saw bear footprints if that counts. We went over some pretty amazing bridges. Ridiculously high and just as scarily ridiculously old. Good photo opportunities though.

Finally we arrive in Prince Rupert on the Pacific coast shortly after 8pm. Again we have no accommodation and again Tracy sorts us out (fantastic hostel too - Pioneer Hostel). What a star. We set out looking for something to eat and drink and find the town is deserted. Strange. When we walk in the pub we realise why the streets are empty - the entire town is watching 'Ultimate Fighting Challenge' on TV. A no-holds-barred cross between boxing, kickboxing and wrestling. Clearly for failed boxers and hopefully not WWF-style staged. But oddly addictive and we didn't speak another word to each other as the 6 ft 8 American beat off his Belarussian challenger. Bout ends and bar empties. How weird. Great calamari and potato skins, and the obligatory Molson Canadian on tap.




Advertisement



10th July 2006

Hello
Only six days in and you've already covered quite a few miles; You'll have to slow down a bit if you're keen to drag it out for a whole year ;-) Anyway, just wanted to post a quick hello and wish you well on your travels. All the best, Dave xx PS: Not sure if you've heard, but Marie was suffering after your leaving party (makes a nice change for me to be carrying her home I'm sure you'll agree). It was a cool send off which everyone enjoyed. especially Ed's dancing skills ;-)
11th July 2006

Great coverage
Love reading it - though only a week into your trip it seems like your covered some distance. So disappointed you haven't run into any bears yet. I blame the bananas, more likely to attract monkeys.

Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 103; dbt: 0.1054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb