July 26--Kinaskan Provincial Park to Meziadin Lake Provincial Park, British Columbia


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
August 3rd 2011
Published: August 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 Kinaskan Provincial Park Rained in the night with sprinkles this morning. Foggy and overcast with no blue sky at all. 50 degrees. 9:30 starting mileage at 13091


Today we continued with the same type of outstanding scenery as the day before…mountains with snow on them, fast rushing streams, waterfalls off the mountains as snow melt, mixed forests of both evergreen and deciduous trees, wildflowers in brilliant colors, and rocks of a variety of colors. The further south we go the more lush the foliage is. Trees are much taller than those further north. Ferns and green mosses of all kinds are now found in among the wildflowers. It reminds us more of Northern California, coastal Oregon, and Washington.

Saw many different wildflowers this day with red berried mountain ash often clashing with the bright fuchsia fireweed. Here the fireweed is 4-5 feet tall where in Alaska and the Yukon it was growing more like 2-3 feet tall. I can identify only a few kinds of wildflowers, even with three wildflower books. One of the books I purchased in Fairbanks was specifically for the wildflowers along the Alaskan Highways.

Got to our next camp spot, Meziadin Lake Provincial Park, by lunchtime. Had lunch and picked out a couple of camp spots next to each other and again parked our noses a few feet from the lake shore. There are a lot of non-motor boats here. People are also fishing off the side of the lake for rainbow trout and Dolly Varden.

We paid $5.00 for a day of wifi and began to send out more of our blog. Was also able to catch up on our e-mail. It continued to rain off and on but cleared enough for the four of us to sit out after dinner and chat.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb