The A to Z from Kleena Kleene


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
November 29th 2009
Published: October 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

·A ~ Aurora Borealis is quite visible from here especially if you are a night owl as it makes its appearance usually from 2:00 AM to 3:00 AM.
·B ~ Bluff Hike, right here on the property offers a spectacular view of the surrounding area.
·C ~ Chilcotin - A plateau region of the Interior BC, a beautiful rolling, hilly and wilderness landscape.
·D ~ Deer, specifically the Mule Deer, a year round resident.
·E ~ Eggs, which are free range and for sale here!
·F ~ Fishing, mostly small rainbow trout in the Klinaklini
·G ~ Growing season. Ours is limited here to only about 2 months of the year and in those two months we may still get a killing frost.
·H ~ Hay fields, usually planted with alfalfa
·I ~ Indian Paint Brush, a native perennial plant. It is a hemiparasitic plant which means it will only grow where it grows and cannot be transplanted
·J ~ Juniper, an evergreen tree or shrub of dense wood. Although these trees are small they can be many hundreds of years old.
·K ~ KlinaKlini River is 195 km and empties into the Knight Inlet. It is one of the largest rivers in BC
·L ~ Lakes - Beautiful One Eye and Big stick lakes are our closest
·M ~ Moose - These members of the deer family can swim as fast as two men paddling a canoe and run up to 56 kmph on land.
·N ~ Nuxalkmc (pronounced with the 'x' like German "ach"). The native people of the Bella Coola Valley
·O ~ Owls - listen for them at night. Here we have Great Horned and Boreal owls among many others.
·P ~ Perkins Peak easily accessed from the Miner Lake Road, has an elevation at 9250 feet
·Q ~ Qamaits - a warrior goddess of the indigenous Nuxálk. At the beginning of the world, Qamaits did battle with the mountains, which were so high that nothing could survive on them. Qamaits, being a ferocious warrior, conquered the mountains and knocked them down to the size they are today.
·R ~ Roosters - we have at least 3. They can live up to 15 years. Roosters crow to proclaim their territory and will crow at any time of day (or night if there is a full moon)
·S ~ Stars, You'll see an abundance of them here and on a clear night can even make out the pattern of our "Milky Way" Galaxy.
·T ~ Tsilhqot'in - meaning: "people of the red-ochre river" The native people of the Chilcotin
·U ~ Ulkatcho The aboriginal people of the Chilcotin region near Anahim Lake. Notable Ulkatcho include Carey Price, hockey player, whose mother is the current chief of the Ulkatcho First Nation.
·V ~ Variable weather make sure you pack something for everything!
·W ~ Wilderness
·X ~ Xeni Gwet'in the aboriginal people of the Nemiah Valley
·Y ~ Yarrow. A native plant species. Flowers are generally white, but can be yellow or pink.
·Z ~ IlgachuZ Mountains just north of the community of Anahim Lake is actually an extinct volcano with its peak approximately 7,907 ft. Surrounding and including the range is Itcha Ilgachuz Provincial Park, a 112,000 hecture park of unique landscape in the West Chilcotin Uplands. The park includes volcanic landforms, alpine environments, and forest sites scattered with wetlands. The park is extremely remote and unroaded. So, while Ilgachuz does not begin with the letter "Z", it does end in "Z" and so ends our list from A to Z.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb