Alberta to Dawson Creek, BC


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
May 22nd 2008
Published: May 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Alberta to Dawson Creek, BC


Traveling to AlaskaTraveling to AlaskaTraveling to Alaska

The roads are getting a lot more interesting.
It rained for a short period just before we got up this morning and we packed the tent away wet. After our walk we left Sandugo and continued on our way on Route 43. We passed the second largest wooden railroad trestle in the world, the Rochfort Bridge. It is 2414 feet long and was built in 1914.

We stopped in Whitecourt, AB and found a hotspot and I sent off 2 blogs and Dave found a pay phone to check on things at home. We stopped in Valleyview for lunch at the “Traveler’s Restaurant” where the food was good and so was the service. The scenery is starting to get interesting again with rolling hills and lots of fir trees.

We found another Wal-Mart, this one in Grand Prairie, and we bought bear spray, which is actually mace. But mace is illegal here in Canada so they call it bear spray. Anyhow, our purpose for it is to deter bear attacks. This Wal-Mart only gave us 95 cents on the dollar. We are not going to any more Wal-Marts in Canada. All the other businesses give us full credit for our dollar.

Dave has a thing about
Rochfort BridgeRochfort BridgeRochfort Bridge

Second largest wooden railroad structure in the world
stopping at what he calls the “Big Acorn”. There was a commercial on TV last year where a wife drags her husband to see a “Big Acorn” and the husband can’t believe he drove all that way to see it. So when I ask him to stop he asks me if it is another “Big Acorn”. Well in Beaverlodge there is a statue of a beaver, the biggest in Canada. So when I asked him to stop and take a picture, he did, which really surprised me, but his reply was “I love beaver.”

The sun has been out most of the afternoon. Crossing over into British Columbia, we arrived in Dawson Creek, which is “Mile 0” for the Alaska Highway. Expecting to see this old pioneer town, we were disappointed to find this large modern, fast food city. There is a monument in town that is a great photo opportunity for Mile O. We found a great campsite at Mile 0 RV Park, which actually had wireless internet from our site and I sent off another blog. We walked down to the grocery store in town and then watched some videos about Alaska on the computer. We tried to watch our US TV shows on line but both network are unavailable in Canada.

We retired at 10 pm and it was still extremely bright outside. I took a picture of the western horizon and of the van in the natural light after 10 pm



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Moose warning signMoose warning sign
Moose warning sign

Unfortunately we have not seen any real ones yet
Bristish ColumbiaBristish Columbia
Bristish Columbia

Dave's first time here - I've been through it traveling from Skagway to Whitehorse with Suzie
10 pm at campsite in Dawson Creek10 pm at campsite in Dawson Creek
10 pm at campsite in Dawson Creek

Days are really getting lon


Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb