Around Wells Grey Provincial Park


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
June 28th 2007
Published: June 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It's been a week now since we were in this beautiful area of BC just west of the Alberta border. Coming south-west from Jasper on hwy 16 you come first to Mt Robson (the highest mountain in BC.) The first shot with the purple (lupine?) in the foreground and the mountain in the back is taken from the field behind the Mt Robson info centre. The mountain in the shot is Mt Robson.
From Hwy 16 you turn onto hwy 6 which brings you to Clearwater, directly below Wells Grey Provincial Park. Before even reaching the park there is about 40 km of road. 12k up the road there is an unassuming turnoff for Spahat Falls. The falls are just a 5minute walk from the parking lot and well worth it! Spectacular! I've only chosen shots of the view of the canyon into which they tumble to show here. The colorful rock canyon is a spectacular sight, sheer cliffs dropping down from a coniferous forest to a winding river far below. The falls themselves are similar to Helmnecken falls 30 km up the road(pictures below). Most of the park is wilderness accesible only by foot or canoe. A single road
Spahat FallsSpahat FallsSpahat Falls

The falls themselves were below me and to my left as I took this shot.
meanders a third of the way up the centre of the bottom end of the park.
We stayed a night just outside the park at a Buffalo Ranch. The buffalo Steak was good and the bed was comfy. I even found a patch of ripe wild strawberries - mmmm. The next day we went into the park. We went most of the way up the road to Ray farm (an early 20th century family farm) and then back to Helmnecken Falls. These falls are the 4th highest in BC and very impressive.
We had a lovely lunch just outside the park at a lodge, and popped back in to go up to the lookout where there's an alomst 360 degree panoramic view of the surrounding mountains. The binoculars were very usefull here! We fisinished the day by driving down to Kamloops where we spent a night in a luxurious Bed and Breakfast (waffles and strawberries for breakfast - yummmy!).
THen last saturday we drove down to Winfield (just norht of Kelowna) were we are staying at the Holiday Park resort, owned and operated by one of Melina's cousins. We're in a lovely and comfortable timeshare apartment until tomorrow morning - this weekend we'll make our way west to Vancouver before we turn south towards California (via Portland and possibly Seattle).
That's all for this time!
Carl


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Bison SkullsBison Skulls
Bison Skulls

Found back in the woods by the broken down trucks and lumber piles, and farm trash that always lingers in the background of a farm.
Columbine FlowerColumbine Flower
Columbine Flower

Shot on our walk around the trails at Ray's Farm in Wells Grey Provincial Park.
Helmnecken FallsHelmnecken Falls
Helmnecken Falls

Majestic Falls, BC's 4th highest, higher than Niagara (though with nowhere near the water volume). Very impressive and well worht a visit if you're in the area!


29th June 2007

Great Photos
I've been really enjoying your photos, Carl. The difference between a good photo and a great photo is composition. Any of these would make great "paintings" and creative composition can produce an award-winner photo. It would be nice to buy a book of great photos a couple of years from now and It's fun to be along for the ride!
29th June 2007

swimming under the falls.
thank god the water was warm. right. sound like the best time to be there, long summer days...rs

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb