Hurry up, the sun's out


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 50.1153, -122.946

It was a very sleepy morning at The Aspens with little action before 10 am. Mindy was hurrying everyone up because it was was a big day in Whistler...the sun was out...woohoo!

Breakfast prepared by Ian in his perennial red stripped pjs (they must be 20 years old!), a quick shower and the mission of getting dressed...the under layer, the inner layer, the middle layer, the outer layer, the over layer and the water proof layer...and this is a sunny day!

Whistler was busy today - it seems everyone was out because the sun was shining. Mindy and Ian were giving us the guided tour of the Upper Village, the creeks and bridges and Whistler Village. We dropped in to the bike shop and met Adam - Mindy's summer boss (first Canadian we have encountered) and then went to the next bike shop to meet Ken - Mindy's winter boss.

First job was to get some warm gear. After visiting lots of shops we finally settled on a jacket each and shoes and hoodie for Mac. Feeling like we have the basics covered and loving rocking Mindy's insider knowledge...sure knows how to hunt down a bargain!

Time for our first gondola ride. A 30 minute glide up the slope on the Whistler Village Gondola to The Roundhouse with a bird's eye view of Whistler, the lakes, mountains and valleys interspersed with the dare devil tracks of downhill bike riders, skiers and boarders. And the bikers, boarders and skiers come in all shapes and sizes, different age groups and from different nationalities and with different skill sets. As we climb higher and the dirt tracks make way for the snow, it is obvious that Ian would prefer to be out skiing rather than sitting in the gondola!

At the top and into the snow. Mac's new North Face boots (brand name dropping) came into their own! He was showing off his ice pick cleats and was running up the hill. My Merrills were like skates and with each step I sunk into the snow my zip up slip ons were snatched off my foot. Ian has to stomp out a footprint trail as my personal staircase in the snow. But with dogged persistence, lots of manhandling support and some slipping and sliding we diid get out and about. No mean feat actually as a little child stumbled and slide down the hill with a mum in high heeled boots taking off after him. Then another lady just bounces down on the snow and slides like a penguin down the hill! The fact that I remained upright was a bonus.

Took the obligatory photos at the stone inukshuk, with the Olympic Rings and the Canadian flags. Had pics with each of the Bears in The Roundhouse and even found a viewing platform that was new to Mindy and Ian. And Mindy bought Mac two beanies - because one is NEVER enough.

At 4 pm the mountain closes and every skier had to make their way to the Gondola to "download". So we were in a shuffling peak hour queue for the Gondolas and got to shuffle along shoulder to shoulder with all the "real" people.

We were in a rush because we were trying to get to the restaurant Mongolia for Happy Hour. An expensive favourite eating place for Mindy and Ian which they only visit when it is offering its customised delights for half price. All the stir fry ingredients are at a food station. You take a bowl, fill it with your choices, smoother it with your sauces of choice and then hand it to the cooks. Your personalised concoction is then cooked right in front of you on a large stone griddle.

Delicious - but a bit hard to repeat it! We washed it down with a "rum anything" highball....and even managed to take home a left overs bag for lunch.

Back to the Upper Village and The Aspens for washing detail which includes creative solutions for drying. But the expats have it down pat and we just follow along. Mindy directed us to an early turn in at 11 because we had a standby morning date with the zip line. Pleasant dreams....or will they be nightmares in anticipation of the adventure.

A great day. Thanks Ian and Mindy

Temperature: Whistler Village = 18. Whistler Mountain = 0
Pedometer: 8 991
Bear sightings = 0

PS Aunty Gail you are never far from our thoughts. Mac was in the kitchen looking for a spoon and called out "Hey Mind, you need Aunty Gail here to sort out the cutlery drawer." Nice thought. If you can get here STAT.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb