Chasing waterfalls


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Whistler
May 15th 2016
Published: May 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Bowen to whistler

Last night we were so tired that after a shower we went out for a quick dinner. We came across a small Italian with only outdoor seating with a few tables. I had pasta pomadoro (carbohydrate comfort food) and Katie had yet another pizza! Shortly after we headed back to the lodge for an early night and came across another deer crossing the road.

Today we woke early so had a bit of a chilled morning packing up ready to depart for whistler. Before catching the ferry back across we went for breakfast at a lovely cafe called Artisan Eats. A great little place where we sat outside in 23 degree heat with French toast and breakfast burrito, it was almost a shame to leave.

We then went and parked the car in the ferry queue and went off to get a take out coffee to drink in the harbour until the ferry arrived. On the ferry we quickly went up to the top deck for good views during the crossing. The horn sounds to signify leaving, and despite Katie hearing this regularly over the past two days she still jumps out of her skin when close to the railings (one of the funniest moments of the trip so far)

Katie was driving for the first half of the day and we have read that there is a few pull ins along the way with great views. Every time we came across these Katie would say "I don't do left turns" and we would miss the most amazing views!

However we did stop at Shannon falls, a great waterfall just a short walk from the main road.

Shortly after we continued to Squamish where we stopped at Howe Sound Brewery for lunch. We had a beer sampler tray so we could try a few of the different types. I think my favourite was SkyPilot, so as I had now become designated driver and only had a sip of each I bought a bottle to take back to the hotel for later (as it turns out the bottles are huge two pint ones)

We then headed off the Brandywine falls. As we pulled up at the carpark there was a sign advising bears in the area! So I made Katie do a quick march for the short walk to the falls. Although this waterfall is more impressive than Shannon falls the view point didn't do it much justice as it was to the side and had to lean right over barriers to be able to see properly (Katie viewed the waterfall from pictures!). To get to the view point we had to walk across the train tracks, Katie insisted on having her photo taken on the tracks and 20 seconds later the train came whizzing through!

By this point we just want to make it to Whistler and jump into the hot tub at the hotel. It was only a short drive from the falls. We pulled up outside the hotel and checked in. We then had to go and move the car into the underground carpark. Only problem is everyone here drives massive 4x4's and the spaces were small so people were parking over the lines meaning we had to squeeze the car next to a bollard with only a couple of cm gap and Katie had to climb through the small gap on the passenger side.

We met an American couple in the hot tub who were here before heading on an Alaskan cruise. Somehow I think that might be a chilly experience for Texans!

By now it was 8pm so we headed into the village for dinner. The hotel allows dogs in certain rooms so on the way down we hear a woman telling her dog off, thinking nothing of it we get in the lift and the doors close only to discover the fog had wee'd all over it and we were stuck in there until we reached the ground floor (ewww) We ended up at the Beacon where yet again we had a beer sampler tray! (Becoming a bit of a habit). The waitress brought the taster tray over and after she left Katie tried to pick it up to see how heavy it was. She half lifted it to test and put it down again only the waitress thought she was too weak to move it and came over asking if we wanted it moved which was so funny! We only wanted something small so we went for the small plates Mac and cheese and tuna for Katie.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0785s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb