Aussie day...


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Whistler
March 24th 2011
Published: March 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Whistler is affectionately known as 'Whistralia' by seasonnaires for good reason.

60% of the people who live here in winter are Australian.

Pretty close to 100% of the lifties are Australian.

The Whistler accent (adopted if you live here for a few years) is somewhere between Canadian and Australian...erring towards the Australian side!

...and so when a day has been dedicated purely to being Australian, Whistler goes off!

The whole day is a bit of a blur but effectively from 8am to 3am the next day, there was a lot of Australian import (VB, not fosters as every Brit was reminded multiple times throughout the day), a lot of meat pies, and a lot of general merriment. The temperature was about -6 and people were skiing down in just a dress made from an australian flag, one or two in a kangaroo costume, and others choosing the more traditional cork hat and leather jacket. The TV's in the bar that we were in had Kangaroos running across them all day and the music playing throughout the day was mainly rolf harris. All in all it was a very stereotypical Australian day (other than the beer as explained above, no aussies drink fosters).

I started off the day dressed normally and with nothing on my face. I ended the day feeling rather un-patriotic, with an aussie flag painted on my face, an aussie flag cape and a massive blow up aussie flag pointy hand.

Originally, Australia day was designed to celebrate the federation of the six colonies of Australia in 1901, unfortunately like most national holidays/events, it has lost its meaning and has become an excuse for a good party...but what a party!

Much love,

Laurie




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb