vancouver to Whistler


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Whistler
August 9th 2010
Published: August 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Thursday we spent a great day with Naomi and Jon, a bit more relaxing around the house, a walk down to the inlet and picked some black berries. Drove to downtown Vancouver and had Ethiopian food for lunch, it was a great experience, no utensils just a flat pancake like bread to eat the meal with. The food was served on a large platter covered with a sheet of the bread and the dishes we had chosen to eat dumped onto it. The food was excellent. The same evening we ordered out for Indian food from Jon's favourite restaurant which proved to be another taste sensation.
Friday found us leaving Vancouver and heading to Whistler, travelling up Hwy 99 through the mountains. We started out along the coast and the scenery was just amazing with the towering mountains on one side and the water on the other. As we travelled north we moved inland a bit and higher into the mountains again the scenery was awe inspiring, the trees are huge and even with the very dry spell happening here the vegetation was green and beautiful.
We stopped at the Brew Creek where the wedding will take place on Sunday as we found it on the way to Whistler. It is a very quiet and contemplative place, a kind of calm seemed to settle as we drove onto the grounds, which we just beautiful. We arrived at Whistler village around 3 and had one of our favourite lunches of peanut butter and banana sandwiches, and then went for a walk in the Village. According to the schedule for the wedding attendees, zip trekking was the activity of choice so we thought to catch up with people a bit later in the day, which is exactly what happened. We had dinner with Maureen at the place they are staying and then the gang arrived for cocktails and desserts. We met Helene's family and a number of the friends attending the wedding. Helene's father had made Norwegian pancakes with blueberries and whipped cream, and they disappeared quickly.
We parked the VW in the back parking lot for over height vehicles and bunked in for the night. Rain began durning the night which is really good for the area as it has been so dry with no rain for about 6 weeks and the forest fires are raging, in fact you could see the smoke hanging over Vancouver when we were there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

the living room the living room
the living room

the living room at Jon's parents home where we stayed for a few days
living roomliving room
living room

the living room from the other side
driving up hwy 99driving up hwy 99
driving up hwy 99

the mountains along the drive up Hwy 99 toward Whistler and the wedding
the bus parked at Whistlerthe bus parked at Whistler
the bus parked at Whistler

Mountains behind the bus in the parking lot at Whistler


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb