Olympics Trivia!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Whistler
February 10th 2010
Published: February 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I have safely arrived in Whistler last night, and have all kinds of things to do and figure out for the next week. From the layout of the village, to the bus schedules (they are closing down many roads and highways), to just getting my bearings so that I can have the best time possible here, it looks like things will be busy and awesome all at the same time!

While I settle in to Olympic life, and with the Opening Ceremonies only days away, I thought it would be fun to kick start your brains by asking some fun trivia questions about the Olympics and their history. I will post the answers in my next post. Good Luck!

1. Where are the 2010 Winter Olympics being held?

2. In which year were the first Winter Olympic Games held?

3. What was the last year that the Winter and Summer Olympics were held in the same year?

4. Has a country in the Southern Hemisphere ever hosted the Winter Olympics?

5. True or false: There were only five sports represented in the first Winter Olympics?

6. How many sports events are there in the 2010 Olympics?

7. What three categories to the sports events fall into?

8. What were the five sports of the first Winter Olympics?

9. The Winter Olympics were held outside the U.S. and Europe for the first time in 1972 in which host country?

10. How many times has Canada hosted the Winter Olympics?

11. Which U.S. state voted to turn down the 1976 Winter Olympics?

12. Which country was the first to broadcast the Winter Olympics live on television in 1956?

13. In which year did the famed "Miracle on Ice" Olympic hockey match take place?

14. Which team did the U.S. beat to win the gold medal that year?

15. How many Winter Olympic events are held indoors?

16. Can you name the indoor events?

17. In how many current Winter Olympic events has the U.S. never medaled in?

18. Which country has won more Winter Olympic gold medals than any other?

19. Bjorn Daehlie of Norway is the most decorated Winter Olympian with how many medals?

20. Which U.S. speed skater was the first person to win five individual gold medals at a Winter Olympics?

21. Which U.S. figure skater became the youngest athlete to win a Winter Olympic medal in 1998?

22. Jean-Claude Killy won Olympic gold medals in all three alpine skiing events in which year?

23. Which former NFL running back competed on the 1992 U.S. men's bobsled team?

24. How many men were allowed on a bobsled team in 1928?

25. In what year did the Jamaican bobsled team makes its debut at the Winter Olympics?

— These questions come from the February 5th edition of the Montana Standard’s TGIF section and the McClatchy-Tribune Information Services; www.infoplease.com


Advertisement



18th February 2010

How did everyone do??
Now that the answers are posted, how did you all fare? How many did you get correct?

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb