Whistler


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Whistler
March 13th 2006
Published: March 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Its been a long while since I've emailed so I'm going to sum up the season so far!
Number of days skiing:23
Number of days teaching:51
So after going home for a week in January for Goodies brothers wedding, i went straight back to work and 3 days later took the skiing section of the level 1 ski instructors course for 2 days which i passed which means i could take kids up the whole mountain rather than the magic chair which is the green run charlift at blackcomb base where i work..theres 2 mountains next to each other whistler and blackcomb and us here at the "dark side" all prefer blackcomb!
ANd this is what fills up all the time Im not skiing...obv the huge club scene and when i can stay awake i do go clubbing!!
the night before my ski instructor "ski off" - aah! - my ski school base went tubing - ie donutting on snow..theres greeen blue and black runs just like skiing and u go preeety fast.after that there was a massive snowball fight with 2 proper teams even our supervisors (bosses)were involved!
been to the cinema 5 times - fallen asleep in 2!not cos they were boring..just so exhausted!
Theres also a sports centre where ive watched ice hockey games, and u can go swimming or to the gym which i gave up at last time..but i went the day after passing my level 1 and me and george my flatmate got stranded in the heaps of snow that had fallen that night so much that the buses stopped running and so we hitchhiked to the village, nearly crashed turning into the village, got stranded in subway where we got lots of free crappy food for an hour and finally got a cab home! this is when we realiosed maybe we should move to the staff housing actually up blackcomb mountain so u can take the gondola (cable car) home and ski to work!plus i was in a bus crash on teh highway which was scaaary

Until recently, cos there are quite a lot of jews here, say 15, weve been doing friday night shabbat dinners at different peoples apartments which had been fun..hannah, my aussie jewish friend gave the local bakery the recipe for challah and they made it for us!! the best friday night we made schnitzel and roast potatoes..quite impressive compared to the standard 49cents kd macaroni cheese most people eat!
Australia Day was quite crazy as nearly everyone here is aussie so that means drinking from 7am which we joined after work and there were pplwaking round the village in minus temperatures in beach clothes, and even apparently naked skiers...err

ON TO SKI SCHOOL...

definitely the best ski school on the planet..thers so much for the kids like a castle up the mountain with real fast slides! and the whole of blackcomb mountain is themed eg the lifts are called the magic carpet, the magic chair, the wizard chair, theres the castle, and the local bar nxt to ski skl is callaed merlins!we do colouring in, story time, we even have a den to send the crying or sleeping kids!basically i get to act like a kid and get paid..but it does involve a lot of work..even wiping bums in the toilet!!

Oh myy there are so many hilarious stories about ski school beacouse the kids are just brilliant!!Here are some of the best:

freddie from manchester..3 yrs old with a really strong accent and rather funny - when asked where he was from he replies "the airport." classic

the south americans, mostly mexicans, are just hysterical as they have no fear, dont shut up and definitely dont care about learning and just want to go fast..and proceed to tell me stories about each other on the chairli'ft which is spoken so fast i only understand bits and jsut say in spanish "really?" and "why?" and they just rattle on..and the only word i ever use to teach them is the spanish work for stop!

then theres mimi,,the cockney 3yr old with a diamond geezer dad with a gold tooth, who was so blunt and hysterical..she was telling me that her mummy doesnt let her drink coke but she says " but my daddy likes coke..my daddy drinks jack daniels and coke" .. ! comng from a 3 year old!

then there was the kids i had during gayweek..where a ski group comes along and some guy with a rainbow coloured feather boa leans down and says "well heloooooo kiddies!!" and freaks them out...! we had seen a 20 dollar bill on the slopes which a boarding instructor and his class had picked up first..so at lunch i set my kids on him..so 5 kids beat up an instructor even nick his keys out his pocket looking for the money which he had actually spent on sweets for his group so to make mine feel better i go and buy them m&ms...which i do a lot now to bribe them! one day it was so cold and htey were crying so when i opended the sweets..miracle no more tears..i teach them to lick the blue ones and spread it on their lips so we were all " ice men" for the rest of the day..one of my more ingenious ideas!

this 4yr old aussie kid who looks and acts like macaulay culkin in home alone..i babysat for him also and that was crazy...3 kids..locking each other in chests, spilling orange juice ont eh bed and nearly falling out the window it was mad.at ski school with him i made spiders out of plastic cups - my speciality it seems - and we all had a big spider fight and sang incy wincy spider with actions was brillliant.

and then it comes to the kids i have every week rather than one off days: 3 and 4 yrs old (minis theyre called ), the valley kids who actually live in whistler, adn the club kids from nearby vancouver. my club kids happen to all be jewish which is quite funny! one who speaks in such a funny way that istead of the wizard chair its the "lizerd". another great line form him today - i asked why his mum is in israel at the moment and he replies " to make it a better place." AWWWWWW!!! then theres mr helmet head - always hides his face in his helmet when hes being shy.. i babysat this week stayed for friday night dinner! and the best bit of the weekly lessons is post lunch sleepy time when we tell ghost stories.. and then one of them wil say "cock a doodle doo morning time!" and we can ski lol.

the 5 valley kids are amazing skiers as they come twice a week and i got them cos arielle aniother instructor left so i got to take over the class.the boys are obsessed with batman so when we ski i sing da na na na na na na na and they all scream BATMAAAN and make all the other skiers laugh..and on the way to the toilet at luchtime they all line up behind each other holding onto each others ski skl bibs and walk in a conga line singing i loike to move it move it! hysterical!the girls like my little pony so when they ski they make pony noises! i laminated spiderman and piny pictures they couloured so they wear them round their neck woth lift passes and show the lifties every time they scan their pass!

Another highlight must be the monthly Whistler Kids (ski school) parties which are themed and everyone put a LOT of effort into!
Jan - VEGAS NIGHT- in our local bar nxt to ski school called merlins - there was gambling and even a wedding chapel where one of our supervisors was the vicar with plastic rings and marriage certificates!
Feb- BEACH PARTY! now for this one, Arielle(aus) Lisa(eng)and I decided to go all out and wear just towels and flip flops and armbands - turned out handy to stuf my money into!..complete with not any tan but a ski style goggle tan! the sun wasnt working so well so we went to the tanning salon - with our ski goggles on! (for 10 mins dont worry im not damaging my skin). it was worth the effort and we supposedly won and got lots of drink tickets.
Next party was SUPERHEROES THAT NEVER MADE IT! just as an excuse to wear our uniforms again steph and I dressed up as action woman! went to the toy shop to get water pistols and massive guns that shot ploastic bullets, and green face paint..looking good!!some good costumes were super sniffle station - sniffle stations are massive tissue boxes allover the slopes,and the recruitment guy who interviewed me -v v important person had a big F taped onto his tshirt , when asked who he was he said "fuck off MAN" and there u go we have fuck off man! love it how out bosses (supervisors) are so down to earth and go out and party with us!

AND LASTLY THE ACTUAL SKIING - had some amazing days inthe fresh POW and skied the glacier, and done a steeps session which are free kinda lessons for instructors where they take us to some amazing places like the steepest run supposedly in n.america, and some palces u have to actually take off ur skis and hike! and even doing some drops too! also spending tie in the jump park as i do have park skis so i may as well ..my aim is to land 360..working on it! there is a HUUUGE park on blackcomb with a chairlift overlooks where u can see soem real pros getting hte huuuuges air! and htey play scary rock music that i got my 3 yr olds head banging to lol. still trying for that goggle tan..eat lunch outside with goggles still on..will update with more news on teh tan asap.



Advertisement



13th March 2006

dani!!!!
so awesome to hear from you, dani. I hope that all is well in snow town and i will pop you an email soon. Miss you and georgous so much... but not sarah!
16th March 2006

wow...
nunca pense al ir a israel conocer gente tan beuna y ta amigabale como conoci... la verdad muuuuuyyy contento de haberte conocido ...de poder llamarte mi amiga y aun mas contento de que estes viviendo tu sueƱo mil besos andi
27th March 2006

Wow
Sounds soooooooo much fun!! Ur stories are hysterical lots of afternoon entertainment! x x x Look forward to seein u when ur back home

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb