Out of Control


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Whistler
December 5th 2007
Published: December 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yes its meYes its meYes its me

I looked the part but my actions did not live up to the image!
Well Friday started early as we had to get to Whistler pronto in order to pick up all our kit. A 5.30am start is never a good thing and it was about 15 below.
We all got kitted out - which took ages. The girls were in one class, teenagers in another and OAP's in the third (well we felt like that when we looked at the average age of those going up on the Gondola - about 20-25 years younger than us on average!!)
The snowboarding was sick! We all thoroughly enjoyed it and it was a great idea for all four of us adults to go together on a beginners session. Of course there was soon a girl/boy split with the men proving that they were more foolhardy than us and by day two the girls proving that their apres ski skills knew no bounds!
The difficult thing for a forty something to get to grips with when learning how to snow board is how to get your body into the right position while remembering to look up and not down and also not think about the consequences of not being able to stop yourself when you get speed up. Its all too much really to juggle at the same time.
Fatty cracked the whole thing although he had to contrive novel ways of getting up on the board in the first place as his knees apparently just dont bend that way anymore!
I managed to get up ok but surprisingly for one who is well endowed in that area I couldnt get my bum in the right position to assist with my balance and I hit the deck quite a few times.
Anyway we were all managing to 'toe and heel' a little - a technical term you understand when I was brutally taken out by a skiier who was careering out of control down the rookie slopes and happened to have a homing device centered directly on me.
The fall was painful - my back and bum were blue - in fact a lesser version of the original and well reported 'Purple Passage' ensued.
I retired early on day 1.
Day two was more of the girl/boy split. In fact the girls only made a couple of descents (on both boards and bums you understand) before hitting the bars of Whistler. The boys went up on the
Girl TeamGirl TeamGirl Team

Our Badminton skills are way in excess of our boarding skills!
ski lift to the Green run and made it down safely by the close of play.
During the day Fatty was accosted by a boarder who asked him how he was doing. He politely replied not realising that he was in fact talking to his son - the Black Rider.
Good fun had by all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Stick to what you are good at!Stick to what you are good at!
Stick to what you are good at!

Happy in a Bar - instructor in background!


5th December 2007

bums!!
Hope your bum is ok. Imagine how badly damaged you might have been id you didnt have a ............................................OOPS!! anyway so what are you drinking??? looks supiciously like coke but I know you better. What is it? Tea? Judithxx PS Keep up the bloggs -we love them Thanks. Will get Harold to add one!!
6th December 2007

Out of Control
thanks for your concern and regular comments! I have been refusing to drink tea since I got here - its amber beer dont you know!
8th December 2007

snowboarding
the bars looked great. not so sure about the snowboarding although ellie is reallly jealous. unfortunately she and isobel are currently revising for their christmas exams. you can defnitely gloat edge children. mark and i are preparing curries for tea and putting up christmas decorations. have fun. tina
11th December 2007

miss you beth(and family)
all your freinds and family miss you hope you have the best christmas!and get what you want!mums growing a long tail and whiskers (from warfrin) miss you all all our love jen win kayleigh and lauren xxx

Tot: 0.282s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb