week 2 and 3 (of almost 5)


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
June 14th 2006
Published: June 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

i went home the second weekend that i was supposed to be here in vancouver. i had tons of fun, and was so glad that i did, b/c i otherwise would probably have been really really drepressed if i hadn't. anyway that weekend i spent it w/ carlo and my family. carlo and i went boarding fr hermosa to redondo beach.. check out videos fr youtube.com

i love the beach. it was so hot and nice the weekend i was in LA, while it was raining and gloomy in Vancouver.

carlo and i spent the whole weekend together. we saw xmen w/ kuya and rita on saturday and had bbq for dinner w/ rita's family later that evening. i even got to hung out w/ ate clare. we had a family gathering at mom and dad's on sunday where i saw more relatives and family friends. that same day carlo and i went boarding at the beach. the beach was packed w/ people. it was so nice to get out fr the gloomy weather in vancouver. monday carlo skipped work and we just hung out.. saw another movie and ate out.. of course, by the time i had to leave i was crying again. i'm such a cry baby.. anyway..

the rest of last week was nice and sunny. i spent tuesday night at the beach.. mind you, the sun is out til ten over here in vancouver so it's not unusual to stay up at the beach as late as seven or even ten.. as long as there's still some sand or rocks to stand on.

the beach was nice.. not enough sand though, but the rocks were smooth and round so it wasn't like it was uncomfortable walking on it. the water was cold, but probably not that much colder fr the water in LA. i still would not dare jump in, though, but it was nice to get some rays. after the beach we went to have dinner. i drove dave's truck so that no one had to take the bus going to downtown. natasha, donna, and i ended up eating at a chinese restaurant right by campus.

wednesday was another hot day, but we spent most of it touring the courthouse.

thursday was rainy and yucky!!! but i wasn't too depressed b/c carlo arrived that day. manny drove me over to the airport to pick him up so i wouldn't have to take the bus going there late at night. he arrived a little past midnight. we picked up our car and got kinda lost getting back home.

friday i went to my morning class but skipped the rest of the afternoon. carlo and i went to capilano suspension bridge. we got a free admission fr budget car rental and only paid $20CDN instead of $30/person cos i got a student discount. cool eh?

we headed further up to grouse mtn but since there were cloud covering the mtn we figured we won't see much that day so we headed back down to stanley park and then to downtown vancouver.


carlo and i ran into his cousin at stanley park by prospect point. it was so weird. what a small world. his cousin jay was here w/ her family just visiting the city. they live in the philippines, but since her husband had a 9-day layover in vancouver, they decided to come along. it's so weird cos it just so happens that we were all in the same place at the same time. weird!

after running into carlo's cousin at stanly park we headed down to downtown where we saw "the omen" at the paramount along burrard and walked around robson st, vancouver's so-called rodeo dr. there we saw the darth vader bear on HMV, and saw bikers showing off their bikes. there was a starbucks right across fr another starbucks. weird eh? we also saw a shirt that said "fuckeneh?" and i thought it was hilarious, but carlo did not want it for himself. if ever i go back there i'll probably pick one up for him anyway.

saturday we headed out to whistler. the weather forecast said it would be raining in the afternoon, but it was hella hot when we got there that i had to buy a hat and a wife beater just to be a little bit more comfortable. i had on a shirt and a longsleeve undershirt so i wasn't prepared for all that sun up there. i left my sunscreen so i actually burned a little bit.

on the way to whistler we stopped by shanon falls. i still had to pay for parking b/c apparently every parking spot at the park are paid parking. we passed
beachbeachbeach

fr hiking trail 4
by squamish and that big rock, but we didn't stop by. if i stay over this weekend i'll probably head out there, but who knows? there's issues going on around here w/ the ppl in the program

whistler was a nice place.. probably would have been nicer if there was still snow there.. i'm guessing there was b/c there were kids going up and down the road w/ their full snowboarding gears on. it wa sa weird mix of ppl there: those dressed up in their summer garb, those dressed up in their snowboarding gear, and those crazy kids in their biking gear riding their "bikes on steroids"

in the summer kids come up to whistler (w/c i should mention is the venue for the winter olympics in 2010) and go up the mtns using the converted ski lifts w/ their bikes and ride the mtn down w/ their crazy bikes on steroids. they literally ride through the rugged terrains on the mtn. it's crazy!!! too bad i deleted the video i recorded of those kids riding down the mtn. it was insane!!!

i had a beaver tail. it was ok. not as big of a deals
beachbeachbeach

sand (and rocks) between my toes
as some of my Canadian classmates have claimed.

later that evening we stopped by granville island to have dinner and stopped by the market to get maple buscuits for "pasalubong" there was a scheduled power outage that midnight so we made sure to be in bed a little before that.

sunday was carlo's last day. we went back to grouse and took the skytrain ($30/person) instead hiking up (free). we're such lazy bums. there was still snow up there, but it wasn't too cold. then we headed back down to granville island and ate at Tony's fish and oysters. i had the best deep fried oysters. i want some right now! sadly i had to drop off carlo to the airport later that afternoon

friday, 16june06 @ 233p location: home in los angeles

i'm home this weekend thanks to awsome bari for hooking it up! i'm glad i'll be able to make it to my brother's graduation party tomorrow! i can't wait. the weather's hot and sunny. it was starting to rain when i left vancouver.

anyway, where was i? hmm sunday after carlo left i had to take the bus all by myself and
beachbeachbeach

the water was probably as cold as the water in hermosa.. did i mention it was a clothing-optional beach?
got LOST!!! i was so scared!!! i was only supposed to take two transfers but i changed buses 5 times!!! first i went the wrong way (south instead of norht) and next i got on the bus that doesn't go all the way to campus (b/c it was a sunday) and had to wait at a bus stop for nearly thirty minutes! luckily there was a local chick there who also went to ubc and we got the talking.. well she made me feel better.

monday was another regular school day. i worked out at the gym after class. it was around seven when natasha, bari, dave, and i started preparing for our dinner. we had dinner at my place since i had the tv. natasha cooked some really tasty porkchops and veggies while dave cooked steak for all of us. i also cooked pasta.

tuesday was toonie tuesdays at the pit. things didn't turn out as expected.

wednesday was a trying day. i had pizza w/ bari and kim for lunch.

thursday was another not-so-good day. the only thing worth looking forward to was my trip back home on friday (today). i spent the night
beachbeachbeach

with cute abigail
over at the sheraton in surrey w/ ros, marlon, and baby JRhys. i had to wake up the whole family to bring me to the airport at five in the morning. luckily the flight was open, and i was able to catch the seven am flight. i hope when i return sunday there'll be more than enough space for me to get back to vancouver.

today was a hot day. elvin and carlo picked me up fr the airport and we had brunch at cafe 50's. donna and natasha had mentioned it before when i shared a lunch w/ them our first week out in vancouver. carlo and i saw "nacho libre" w/ jack black and hung out at burbank after. the movie was funny and i would recommend it for those who want to escape fr their daily monotonous robot-like existence.

the weekend is promising. i'm glad i'm home to make it to my kuya's grad party.. ciao!


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

courthouse fieldtripcourthouse fieldtrip
courthouse fieldtrip

here's me looking like a real law student
canadian mc donald'scanadian mc donald's
canadian mc donald's

it's gotta have the national symbol: the maple leaf. as if!
capilano suspension bridgecapilano suspension bridge
capilano suspension bridge

taken by one of their living exhibitions
capilano suspension bridgecapilano suspension bridge
capilano suspension bridge

i got over my fear. look! no hands!
darth vader beardarth vader bear
darth vader bear

at the corner of robson and burrard and in front of hmv
sea to sky hwy 99sea to sky hwy 99
sea to sky hwy 99

no traffic.. just greens and water surrounding you.. nice drive up to whistler
squamishsquamish
squamish

on the way to whistler
shannon fallsshannon falls
shannon falls

on the way to whistler
whistlerwhistler
whistler

snow-capped mtns
whistlerwhistler
whistler

bikes on steroids
whistlerwhistler
whistler

the site of 2010 winter olympics


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb