The Big Sleep


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
April 19th 2006
Published: April 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Capilano Suspension BridgeCapilano Suspension BridgeCapilano Suspension Bridge

Entrance to Capilano.
Today was a lazy day. Didn’t get up until around 9am, and then sat and updated the blog and sorted photos out until 1pm. The cleaners were banging impatiently at the door, wanting to come in and clean, but we made them wait until we left for the afternoon. Decided against yet another Mc D’s gourmet breakfast and had a chocolate instead - probably more nutritious too!

Our first stop for the day was the Capilano Suspension Bridge originally built in 1889. This suspension bridge stretches 450 feet (137m) across and 230 feet (70m) above Capilano River. Not for the faint hearted or those who suffer from vertigo, as this bridge when you walk on it, moves up and down and sways from side to side. Unfortunately they don’t allow jumping up and down on the bridge to make it swing more, but walking heavily can give the same desired effect, which we did. Probably the little Japanese ladies could have done without that though! Once across the bridge, the rainforest encapsulates you for a wonderful experience of nature. Back on the other side we bought lunch, some sandwiches and a piece of banana bread for breakfast tomorrow.

Drove
Capilano Suspension BridgeCapilano Suspension BridgeCapilano Suspension Bridge

Guys who built the bridge!
back down into downtown Vancouver and headed towards Gastown, famous for its old steam clock. Ambled along the streets before heading into a shop where Liisa bought a pair of rugged walking shoes. The colour was slightly different on one shoe as it had been in the window, so she was offered 50% off. After humming and haring and deliberating for ages - should she pay more for shoes which matched perfectly, or go for the deal for slightly mismatched shoes - she chose the mismatched shoes. Well, they are going to get dirty anyway!!!

Made our way, with Liisa wearing her new shoes (like walking on clouds she says), to Canada Place. This is where all the cruise liners depart to Alaska and elsewhere. Wandered around in the drizzle then headed back to the car to return to Gastown to view the lights.

Before going home we stopped at KFC with the idea of grabbing a corn on the cob for a small bite to eat, unfortunately they stopped selling them. Instead we had them make up a fresh caesar salad for us. Returned to hotel, uploaded pictures and to bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Capilano Suspension BridgeCapilano Suspension Bridge
Capilano Suspension Bridge

Walk on the wild side!
Capilano Suspension BridgeCapilano Suspension Bridge
Capilano Suspension Bridge

Not for those with vertigo - long way down!
Capilano Suspension BridgeCapilano Suspension Bridge
Capilano Suspension Bridge

Out and about in the woods.
Capilano Suspension BridgeCapilano Suspension Bridge
Capilano Suspension Bridge

View back across the bridge.
Capilano Suspension BridgeCapilano Suspension Bridge
Capilano Suspension Bridge

Swaying in the wind.
GastownGastown
Gastown

The steam clock.
GastownGastown
Gastown

Shop window.
Downtown VancouverDowntown Vancouver
Downtown Vancouver

The eye catching roof line of Canada Place.
Downtown VancouverDowntown Vancouver
Downtown Vancouver

Tulips and Canada Place.
Downtown VancouverDowntown Vancouver
Downtown Vancouver

Outside the Canadian Railroad Building.
Downtown VancouverDowntown Vancouver
Downtown Vancouver

Enroute to Canada Place.


24th April 2006

update
Vancouver is certainly lovely! Great pics; they take me back to the last time I was up that way. I called Laura - AKA "Proud Mama." She had the baby on 2/24 at 8:35 AM. She weighed in at 7lbs, 1 oz and was 19 in. long. Her name is Kira Danielle. Everyone is doing great! I'm looking forward to seeing you both on your way home.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb