Vancouver - A year later...


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
April 18th 2006
Published: April 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Snow peakSnow peakSnow peak

The weather is a little colder than it was this time last year.
We're back. Here was everything thanking their lucky stars that we made it to the end of our trip and back to Vancouver safe and sound. No more blogs to endure - hah!!!, we've enjoyed writing them so much that we've decided to keep them up. After all, they are such a good way to share even more adventures with friends and family who are dotted the world over.

So, we made it safely back to Vancouver on November 25th 2005. After a wonderful year away and lots of lovely sun and heat we hit the cold weather with a bump. Bbbbbrrrrrrrrrrr comes to mind when we walked out the airport. It didn't help that all our belongings were in storage and couldn't get them until we found a new place to live. Since we were used to being nomads on the constant move at this point it didn't matter too much. Thankfully we both had winter coats made for us in Vietnam and they were waiting safely for us at our friend James' house.

Our first few days back were spent getting Mike's beloved Jeep back. Our friend Georges very kindly kept his eye on it for us
Mountain viewMountain viewMountain view

Flying over the coast mountains of Vancouver - a great view.
over the year and made sure that it was in tip top condition for our return - so we were very grateful for that. We put the Jeep to good use over the weekend as we searched for a new abode and what a cracker we found. The main floor of a house that has just been renovated. Lots of space, original wooden floors, wood panelling on some of the walls, a re-couped bathroom and kitchen and new appliances. Lovely. We settled in quickly and are loving having a kitchen again. We've christened our new place quite a few times over the past few months and it copes pretty darn well.

After finding a new place to live we had to face reality and return to work. Really, why do we work for a living. I much preferred lazing on the beach with my daily beer and discovering all the new places and people that 2005 entailed for us. Och well, we just plan for future trips now.

We've loved being back amongst friends again and have enjoyed catching up with everyone. Christmas was spent with our friends Sudha, Mike and Jina and thier lovely daughter. We had
A birdseye of VancouverA birdseye of VancouverA birdseye of Vancouver

The city of Vancouver on a sunny winter's day.
a lazy morning recovering from Christmas Eve drinks and opened pressies and spoke to the family. Then it was time for food and drink - yum.

Mike enjoyed St Patricks Day this year (last year we were in Nha Trang in Vietnam with green beer - how dodgy in a South East Asian country!!!). I enjoyed St. Patricks Day after returning from work and collecting my lovely boyfriend from the bar when he was mumbling rubbish after consuming one to many Nova Scotian beers. It is the good stuff after all - so once and a while is okay dokay.

We've recently returned from a weekend away. We visited our friends Bill and Sherri in Edmonton, Alberta. I thought Vancouver was chilly, it was constantly white in Alberta. We went to Buck Lake where Sherri's parents have a cabin and we pretty much stayed indoors for the few days we were there. We ventured out to stand on the very frozen lake and to gawk at the bison. A very strange sight, huge beast standing in the snow - at least they were furry.

In a week we are heading over to Bonnie Scotland to visit the
MauiMauiMaui

Another tropical paradise - this time it's the island of Maui in Hawaii. Work isn't too bad when you have this at the end of a hard day.
family. Can't wait. Alan, Kat, Trev and Charlie are coming up from England for a few days so I'm sure we'll have plenty of fun then. I hear that a golf trip is on the cards for the boys and for the girls - shopping and cocktails, what else!!! Mike has been out perfecting his golf swing over the last few weekends - so beware......

Until then, look through the pictures and we'll see you soon - he he.....

Love Mike and Charlotte xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Vancouver IslandVancouver Island
Vancouver Island

A view from one of our Harmony planes of Vancouver Island in the early morning sunrise. Yup, that's what happens when you get up at 4am.
SunriseSunrise
Sunrise

Another shot of Vancouver Island at sunrise, this one with a wee bit of colour.
Our new hooseOur new hoose
Our new hoose

Our lovely kitchen and bathroom in an old Vancouver heritage home.
Our hoose againOur hoose again
Our hoose again

The living room. It's the perfect place for all the nicks and nacks we bought on our travels.
Trolly Dolly AgainTrolly Dolly Again
Trolly Dolly Again

Back to work. Vanessa and I get ready for another busy day.
Harmony planeHarmony plane
Harmony plane

See - I do actually work for an airline.
Always PosingAlways Posing
Always Posing

You would think that we would have had enough of posing for pictures after last year. Not a chance!!!
Singa all the way...Singa all the way...
Singa all the way...

There is always time for a Singa Beer - even if one is in Hawaii at the time :)
HurrahHurrah
Hurrah

Can't remember which party this one is from - oh, wait a minute, it was Mike's Birthday. Aawwhhhhh.
Christmas GravyChristmas Gravy
Christmas Gravy

He's the man!!! Chef Michael stirring the gravy for Christmas Dinner. Yum Yum.
Snowy Road to .....Snowy Road to .....
Snowy Road to .....

Mike and Sherri pose for a shot. It was a long walk in the ccccoooollllddd.
Buck Lake!!!!Buck Lake!!!!
Buck Lake!!!!

It's frozen, so no swimming. Although, I'd drown with the number of layers of clothing that I had on.
Snow BillSnow Bill
Snow Bill

Bill faced the cold but caught a cold for his efforts.
Cool ManCool Man
Cool Man

Mike had to have a play on the lake - it didn't break thankfully.
BisonBison
Bison

Big beast, lots of snow. We wanted to get some more photos but the camera got so cold that it froze.
Elli BelliElli Belli
Elli Belli

It's nice to have Elli home again.
Awwhhh blessAwwhhh bless
Awwhhh bless

She's such a cutie.
A hard day.....A hard day.....
A hard day.....

What a life - Elli has yet another busy afternoon.
Old Indian sarisOld Indian saris
Old Indian saris

This is a hanging we picked up in India. It's old saris and dresses which the women sew together. Very beautiful.
Vancouver SunsetVancouver Sunset
Vancouver Sunset

We haven't had enough of taking sunset shots, so this is one from our back door.
Keek a booKeek a boo
Keek a boo

Bit of a surprise when I opened that back door one night.


19th April 2006

keep on writing
Hey guys, great to see you are back in normal life again. Although you it seems you are partying a lot. That's what makes life great. Whe have a great change coming up also. Miranda is pregnant for four months, so at the end of september whe're expecting a little baby. She is doing allright and we're looking forward for our new familymember. We're reading all kind of stories about people travelling with baby's...... dreaming of a yourney to a sunny island with our new kid and our two oldest. Well we keep you informed about the tummy and whats in it. a big hug from your dutch friends

Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 24; qc: 154; dbt: 0.1529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb