Day One - July 25th, 2013


Advertisement
Published: July 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

July 26, 2013

We arrived in Vancouver yesterday to a glorious summer evening. 25c and a perfect blue sky at 6.30 pm. It’s truly wonderful, descending into Vancouver on a beautiful evening. The mountains are quite surreal lit up by the evening sun. It’s such a beautiful and “well placed” city. And so lovely to be back.

Overall the flight was good. Although it has to be said we were a little underwhelmed with Virgin Atlantic. When I think “Virgin” I imagine ‘up to the minute’ technology, top notch entertainment etc. So it was with disbelief and uncontained horror when I finally had to conclude (after much pressing of buttons) that I had no control over the film I was trying to watch. No pause function?! I didn’t realise such archaic technology still existed on a long haul flight – and with Virgin of all companies. I’m travelling with two children; how can I be expected to watch a film without a pause function?!

Actually the kids are great. They are excellent travellers. We’ve reached the age where they are completely happy amusing themselves. And why wouldn’t they be? With the variety of technology we’d brought with us at their disposal they can while away the hours doing pretty much what they’d choose to do at home (given half a chance). So there we go; there are advantages to this modern breed of child. On a plane, they don’t feel confined and they don’t miss the outdoors. When it comes to 9 hours on a plane they’re experts in the art of virtual inactivity.

Anyway – back to Vancouver. We had the choice of the new skytrain extension (the Canada Line) that runs from the airport to downtown (I say “new” but it is a few years old now) or a taxi and although it was tempting to try the new skytrain it was frankly easier (and not much difference in price) to jump into a taxi.

We’d found a lovely privately owned condo via VRBO.com at 689 Abbott Street, close to BC Stadium and False Creek. The condo has the most amazing views of the Creek, BC Stadium with its splendid new roof (lit up blue at night) and over to the left, the giant sphere of Science World. And, in the far distance, spectacular, snow topped Mount Baker (in the US) looms on the horizon.

In a vain attempt to thwart jet lag we took ourselves out and about, joining Vancouverites enjoying their beautiful city on such a glorious evening. Like the UK they too have been experiencing some fabulous weather lately and we did overhear someone saying that it hadn’t rained for over 6 weeks.

We enjoyed a delicious slice of pizza for supper, bought a few supplies from the Asian Supermarket (T & T) then just about made it back to the Condo before falling into a deep sleep at about 10.30pm (Vancouver time). We then woke again around 3am. Jet-lag is a determined pain in the derriere. Personally I’d had less than 6 hours of sleep Wednesday night in the UK, no sleep on the plane and then stayed up until gone 6am UK time Friday morning. Yet still I only managed to sleep for little more than 4 hours before my body woke me up, determined to keep me on UK time. Still, at least we have a nice long day in which to enjoy exploring on Friday!

Advertisement



27th July 2013

Great
Like the first entry - reads really well. Hope you will be able to keep it up but don't spoil the enjoyment of the trip by having to complete your blog.
18th December 2013

wow and double wow
what lucky bunnies you all our,welcome home,received your lovely christmas card today,and have just completed an evening of viewing your blog,not stopping, til desperate, to visit bathroom.....And check weather conditions which by the way is very unseasonable,hope it does not stop planned activities tomoz,...but not to worry a day cooking mincepies from scatch will be appreciated next week....thankyou for sharing what appears to be adventures and family time you will never forget..once in a lifetime the timing looked perfect..not one photo where your smiles dont say it all..c u soon xx

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb