Day 101: Vancouver Island< Butchart Gardens and Victoria


Advertisement
Published: August 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 101: We had booked a tour to Vancouver Island with a local company - as it was - it was just Vera and me on the tour with a very well educated Indian guide who had lived and worked for some years in Vancouver. We were picked up at the Hostel and arrived at the ferry about an hour laterfor the rather lovely crossing to the Island. On the Moose tour our guide had spoken of an Emily Carr, an eccentric lady who painted and wrote biographies (which I read when I came home), so we talked our driver into letting us visit her home as it was only a street or so away from the Parliament Building where we had an escorted tour.

We walked across the road to the Wax Museum, similar to Madame Tussaud's in London though featuring the Canadian history, followed by a stroll around the very beautiful harbour area to take in the sights and sounds.

Victoria is a very pretty place with many attractions and too much to see in one day, and last time we were there we did not have time to see the Butchart Gardens so this was the day - absolutely beautiful and well worth the visit - thus the number of photos.

The Butchart Gardens are not near Victoria, they are a bus ride away to another part of the island closer to the ferry, so you need to catch a bus from the ferry to the gardens and then another into Victoria or vice versa - all very time consuming.

If you are going to visit Vancouver Island, I suggest go with an organised tour as it is much easier and also cheaper than trying to get there on your own as we did last time fiddling around and waiting for bus after bus after bus and ferry times, and on our return being stranded at 10 pm at the bus stop from the ferry before catching the bus into Vancouver, eventually arriving home late. I think we had spent more time waiting for transport than seeing the sights.




Additional photos below
Photos: 66, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb