Victoria


Advertisement
Published: December 8th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Victoria is Canada's second most romantic city. If you have more than three days in Vancouver then Victoria is absolutely worth a visit, but getting there requires about four hours of travel each way; if you can stay overnight in Victoria it will result in a much more relaxed and fulfilling trip but if you only have one day it can still be done. While both Victoria and Vancouver both have harbors the ferry between them is far outside of town on both sides, so you'll find yourself on four long bus rides or expensive (and only slightly shorter) taxi rides, in addition to two lovely ferry crossings between Tsawwassen (Vancouver) and Swartz Bay (Victoria). Book your ferry tickets in advance, especially if you will be bringing a car, and hope for clear skies so that you can watch for wildlife. On a long day trip you should expect to have about six hours for sightseeing on Vancouver Island, where Victoria is located.

While the city of Victoria is worth the trip on its own, Butchart Gardens is one of my favorites gardens anywhere and the journey wouldn't be complete without a visit. Plan for a least a few hours here to visit the various gardens, and consider reserving an afternoon tea with a pot of house blended rose tea and a lovely view.

If you miss afternoon tea at Butchart Gardens then you can always take it at the famous Fairmont Empress or Pendray Tea House. Either way plan for at least a couple of hours in Victoria on a day trip. Most of the main sights are close to Victoria Harbor, including the Parliament House and the Royal British Columbia Museum, which has a wonderful collection encompassing natural history, human history and the paintings of Emily Carr. You can also have a quick lunch nearby at Red Fish Blue Fish and then a drink or two at Garrick's Head Pub or the Drake Eatery before you head back to the ferry and onward towards Vancouver. If you're staying in town, there are many delightful options including the aforementioned Fairmont Empress Hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Red Fish Blue FishRed Fish Blue Fish
Red Fish Blue Fish

Chowder of chipotle coconut and sweet corn with Pacific white fish confit.
Red Fish Blue FishRed Fish Blue Fish
Red Fish Blue Fish

Tempura yam tacone - delicious!


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb