16th July 2008


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Squamish
July 18th 2008
Published: July 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

16th July 2008
We got up at 7-30pm this morning in Howe Sound, Squamish. Amy went for a run as usual, the rest of us went to explore the granite cliffs called the Stawamus Chief. The closer you get to it however the more difficult it was to see the scale of it or even see the cliff at all for the trees around the foot of it. We walked through the tall trees at the foot of the cliff which was also a campsite popular with the visiting rock climbers. We did see a board which said there was a viewing platform 300 metres away so headed towards it. The path was so steep that it had wooden steps most of the way between scrabbles up a steep rocky path. We passed the viewpoint (which only gave a view away from the cliff) and continued upwards for another 200 metres. We then realised we were climbing up the descent route from the summit of the cliffs. We were now running out of time before it was time to depart for Vancouver Airport to drop off the hire car so we headed back to the hotel.
The drive from Squamish to Vancouver follows the Sea to Sky highway which is normally a spectacular drive, but all along the route was enormous roadworks as they are developing the highway for the 2010 Olympics in Whistler.
We dropped the car at Vancouver Airport after clocking up 2,500 kilometres over the last 6 days, and caught an express coach to Seattle Airport. The coach had a wifi or free internet connection available so we were able to check and send emails on the three hour journey. This was very fortunate as we were able to get immediate news of Mum's fall and subsequent admission to hospital with a broken hip. We shall be able to keep in touch with events in England to set our minds at rest.
We caught the plane from Seattle at 6-15 pm and arrived ahead of schedule in Detroit airport at 12-30am (local time) the following day. This flight only lasted just over 3 hours but there is a 3 hour difference between Seatttle and Detroit. After collecting our bags and finding the car car in the long stay car park it was nearly 2am in the morning. We then set out to drive back to Guelph some 3 to 4 hours away. We eventually arrived back in Guelph just after 6am in the morning. We were all very tired by now and soon got into bed, after a very long day. and a night. None of us is quite sure what day it is when communicating with England!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



19th July 2008

your Mom
Horrified to hear of Mrs Woodcocks fall! Please pass on our best wishes and tell her we are thinking of her!! love Mary J
19th July 2008

Having encouraged you to keep the blog, forgot to check the Canadian adventure so I've just spent the last hour and a half reading it from beginning to end. Seems a very busy trip, obviously enjoyed by all. Sorry to hear about your Mum, Di. We hope she makes a good recovery.

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.103s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb