Final Days in Canada


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Squamish
December 14th 2007
Published: December 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Building a Dam on the RiverBuilding a Dam on the RiverBuilding a Dam on the River

Several wet feet resulted
We have been spending out last few days in Canada doing a few touristy things, spending time with friends (the Millards have really put themselves out for us) and revisiting the snowboarding slopes (not me you understand - my back is still poorly you see!). Also what a relief to warm up to a pleasant minus 2! Bring on the sun in Oz I say!

On Saturday we had a relaxing day in Squamish. We had a walk along the river again and saw more eagles and their victims (several dead and decaying fish). The kids enjoyed making dams and getting their feet wet and also the thin sheet ice that we found proved too much to resist and so several sheets found their way onto several heads!

We also visited the Capilano Suspension bridge - itself impressive but not worth the money but it is surrounded by old rainforests and there are some interesting canopy walks there. Beth and I also followed a noisy red squirrel around one of the walks. The suspension bridge itself is not for the faint hearted or those who don't like heights - it does tend to sway and it is a long way down if you look!. The added complication when we visited was the ice which did make it a little more challenging!

The highlight of the week I think was the visit to Grouse Mountain. This is close to Vancouver city and is open until 10pm at night. There are snowboarding and skiing slopes and ice skating on an outside rink which we did twice. The girls also got to see Santa and some real reindeer although Flirty wasn't that keen to see them fenced in (good for her)
Fatty, Fiendish and Fabulous went to hone their snowboarding skills while Flirty and I tried snoeshoeing. I think it would have been easier to walk in our normal walking boots to be honest - however we had a pleasant enough walk along a lake - complete with warning of bear sightings!
We finished off the day with the girls ice skating and the rest of us standing around an open log fire. The views from the top were stupendous - the evening was very clear and the sunset was to die for - better than any sky we saw in the Yukon! (and a lot warmer!)

Finally our last
Whistler in the SnowWhistler in the SnowWhistler in the Snow

It was a lovely sunny day
full day in Canada was spent in Whistler again. The others all signed up for more snowboarding lessons and came away hooked - especially Fiendish who snowboarded most of the way down Blackcomb and was completely made up with the experience.
We also went swimming and to the cinema - recommendation from the boys - dont go and see Beowolf!!

We will miss Canada - we have had a great time here and found the people friendly and countryside impressive. We all want to come back.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Walk along the River Walk along the River
Walk along the River

The snowy mountains in the backbround are really impressive.
Making a Gingerbread TrainMaking a Gingerbread Train
Making a Gingerbread Train

Lots of concentration and a good exercise in teamwork.


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb