The Next Adventure - Kamloops


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Kamloops
October 16th 2012
Published: October 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Take a peek at these hillsTake a peek at these hillsTake a peek at these hills

Some of the many peaks in the surrounding hills are reflected in the Thompson River.
Since the late 60s, we had passed through Kamloops many times on our way back and forth between cities in Alberta and Victoria, BC. We even have stayed at various motels on the highway when splitting the long drive into two days. However, we had never actually visited Kamloops. Our impression was that it was dry, dusty and just plain too hot.

So there were some misgivings when we decided to extend the adventure to this "new" city. We made several trips from Williams Lake in late June and it didn't seem too bad. Dry, dusty and hot but there was a certain rugged beauty to the area. Quite different from Williams Lake and certainly from the Gulf Islands but it looked promising.

Leaving Williams Lake

We couldn't believe a year had gone by when it was time to rent the trailer and prepare to head down the road. We did manage to see a bit of the Stampede, a big deal in Williams Lake. The parade wound its way about a block from our apartment so it was very convenient to take it in.

I rented the usual U-Haul trailer early on the Canada Day weekend
GrandchildrenGrandchildrenGrandchildren

The best part of summer is getting the grandchildren together on Pender Island.
as there were reports of shortages of trailers in the area. I had to use the car so just backed the trailer up to the house and unhitched it. I am always in a hurry so when it was time to load, I just started packing our few pieces of furniture into the trailer. I had loaded two of the dressers into the back of the trailer when it suddenly dawned on me that the trailer wasn't attached to the car. There was no way I was going to lift the hitch up to the ball on the car once it was fully loaded. Whew. I didn't have to move too much stuff and was able to put a couple of blocks under the hitch to raise it higher than the ball. Clever!

I packed the rest of the stuff into the trailer and backed the car under the hitch. Speaking of hitches, the latest was that the hitch was above the ball but I couldn't lift it to remove the blocks. Rats! I had to unload about half the trailer until it was light enough to lift so Dianne could remove the blocks. The consolation was that the
Stampede ParadeStampede ParadeStampede Parade

Lots of fun. Many of the First Nations kids from our school rode in the parade.
repacking was better and I got in some things I thought I was going to have to leave behind.

Pre-Kamloops adventures

Our summer adventures were going to be focused on Pender now that our renovations were finished. We passed through Kamloops to drop off the contents of the trailer in a self-storage locker.

We finally got to start sifting through the many boxes of stuff we had in storage. Some stuff from Williams Lake was merged in and some stuff pulled out to go back to Kamloops. What fun. We managed to get out in our kayaks a few times to remind us why we love to live on Pender

Then came the week with the grandchildren. I went to Mission as a foot passenger to borrow a vehicle and the two oldest granddaughters. Six grandchildren and two grandparents are too many people for one vehicle. The three of us then took the ferry to Cedar to pick up the middle two grandchildren. We drove to Victoria to meet Dianne who had taken our car over to pick up the youngest two. The cavalcade then headed for the Pender ferry!

It was fun trying to
Another moving storyAnother moving storyAnother moving story

Loading a U-Haul trailer is getting to be fairly routine. I just hope the story related in the blog text isn't repeated.
explain to the cashier at the ferry how many people were travelling: let’s see… two seniors, one adult, uh… three no four children and one under two in two cars. I had to count on my fingers, the cashier had to write it down! The week went by in a flash. Beaches, picnics, bubble blowing, arts and crafts not to mention meals… Lots of fun. The weather cooperated so we had lots of outside activities.

When it was all over, we went back to Victoria to celebrate (no, not our survival) our 45th anniversary with the assembled families. The highlight of these gatherings is the Art Show when the kids display (and sell) much of the art work they had produced on Pender. The competition for favourite pieces is furious. I think next year we will have an Art Auction. That should be interesting.

Christine and her family returned to Pender with us and were joined by her cousin, Lara, and her family. As well, we had 3 friends from our China days over on the Saturday. Our new renovations were certainly tested that weekend. We managed to fit 10 people into the “cottage”. Good thing it was
More????More????More????

Good thing we didn't have a bigger vehicle or we probably would have hauled more stuff from Pender to Kamloops.
family.

A moving experience

All too soon, it was time to head for Kamloops. But first, a trip to Alberta to see Dianne’s family. Luckily, the highway to Alberta from Victoria goes through Kamloops. We arrived in town about 5:00pm and went immediately to our new apartment to meet our landlord. We had rented the “basement suite” sight (or should that be site) unseen. The landlord was a bit nervous renting to people he hadn’t met but he did have our damage deposit and first month’s rent. We had seen pictures he emailed us.

It turned out to be a beautiful suite. In a five year old house, the “basement” has at least 9’ ceilings (I had to borrow a ladder to change a light bulb) and is about 1,200 sq. ft. We have almost no furniture. We brought two IKEA Poang chairs from Pender (and could have used the two we left in China), a couple of small coffee tables and my desk and chair from China. Two bedrooms and not even one bed.

Having had a quick tour of the place and signed all the paperwork, we rushed off to Canadian Tire and bought
MinimalismMinimalismMinimalism

Nice apartment but not much furniture. The "wall hanging" is actually the frame for a wall mounted TV... but we don't have one!
a BYO Bed. This is a queen sized bed that had a built-in pump to blow it up as required. This will likely be it for our stay in Kamloops. To round out our furnishings, I bought a dining room table and 6 chairs at a thrift store for $100. Home suite home. We off-loaded all the stuff from the car and went out for dinner.

The next day was a Sunday and the trailer rental place was only open from noon to 3:00 pm. I rushed over and rented a trailer. We drove to the storage locker and piled everything into the trailer. We couldn’t believe everything fit because we had actually done two trips to the locker in June. To get it all out in one trip was a bonus. Off we went to the apartment and moved all the boxes and dressers etc into the huge kitchen/dining area. Then back to the trailer rental place before it closed. All this in 30+ degree weather. Luckily, being Kamloops, the house is air-conditioned. So is the basement suite but it is so cool down there we don’t need to use it. After sorting the boxes into various rooms,
Secret agenda?Secret agenda?Secret agenda?

On one of my exploratory walks I discovered this sign. Did Dianne have a hidden motive in moving to Kamloops?
we went to a movie, The Most Exotic Marigold Hote. What a life.

Alberta bound

A summer trip through the Rockies is a beautiful drive. We have done it many times in the past and never get tired out the scenery.

Visiting Dianne’s family is always fun. Lots of story swapping, card games and a chance to see some of the family who had just been visiting us the week before! Dianne’s parents had both turned 94 in the previous few months so it was a chance to celebrate birthdays again.

Kamloops

St. Ann’s Academy has a rich tradition. It was originally opened in 1880 and is now a K-12 school with 400+ students. Dianne says it is well run (not just because she is there).

It turned out we weren’t quite finished furnishing our place. As Dianne settled in to her new school, some 'no longer needed' items appeared in the hall marked “Free”. We now have a small table for our TV, a 6 foot bookshelf (missing a shelf) and a potted plant. Such luxury. Our method in furnishing reminded us of our early days in Calgary as well as our stay
Beautiful old house and gardenBeautiful old house and gardenBeautiful old house and garden

Some of the houses from the early 1900s are really gorgeous and have immaculate yards. You may have noticed that we love to take pictures of the oldies but goodies.
in China.

Kamloops is in a valley with many districts up on the surrounding hills. We were lucky to find a place in the “flats” so walking to school, Church, the Thompson River parks and downtown is very pleasant. The two venues for the local theatre are within walking distance and the two plays we have seen so far have been great. Five more to go. We have walked many trails inside the city and are now ready to branch out into the surrounding countryside.

To be continued…


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Garage? Barn?Garage? Barn?
Garage? Barn?

Sometimes they rip out the houses and build new condos. But they don't always remove all the old stuff. This relic is about three blocks from our place in "downtown" Kamloops
View from the topView from the top
View from the top

As you walk up the hills in the residential district near us you get some great views of the Thompson Rivers. Here the North and South Thompsons join to make an even bigger river that will merge with the Fraser downstream.
EveningEvening
Evening

On an evening walk the sunset colours were great.
BeachesBeaches
Beaches

I didn't expect to see such large and sandy beaches on the river, but there are lots of them.
Heritage trainHeritage train
Heritage train

One of the tourist attractions is an old steam train. They have a fake holdup with masked riders climbing on board to "rob" the passengers. I got to be the hostage!
Horse senseHorse sense
Horse sense

There are a group of riders that meet the Rocky Mountaineer passenger train as it winds its way though the Mountains. They even talk to us "locals".
Tournament Capital of CanadaTournament Capital of Canada
Tournament Capital of Canada

Kamloops advertises itself as the Tournament Capital of Canada. This map of the sports facilities on McArthur Park shows just one example of how the city can host so many events.
New CameraNew Camera
New Camera

Dianne got the new camera we wish we had used in China. Here she tries shooting under a picnic table. Maybe I should use this as my new profile photo on email?
Artistic bentArtistic bent
Artistic bent

With her new camera, Dianne is trying all kinds of new looks. This is an old Church and cemetery on the north side of the Thompson. Pretty good shot if you ask me.
Highway BridgeHighway Bridge
Highway Bridge

We have been over this bridge many times during trips between Alberta and Victoria and didn't even know it was a bridge. Pedersen Creek Park starts just blocks from our place and winds its way into the hills.
Bridal Veil FallsBridal Veil Falls
Bridal Veil Falls

Even though the hills are dry and dusty, on the north side of Pedersen Creek Park there is a lovely stream at the foot of these falls.
Farmers' MarketFarmers' Market
Farmers' Market

Quite different from the marketplaces we had found in China. The fruit and vegetables on sale here are equally good but the crowds are considerably smaller.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb