Ft Nelson


Advertisement
Published: July 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

25 Jul 2016: Just to bring you up to date, we arrived at Dawson Creek just before 2000 on Friday, 22 July with a leaking water pump.

I booked a site at the Northern Lights RV Park for four nights so we could see about getting a new water pump. If not, no problem, we'll just tow it up the road until we get it replaced. The downside is we can't use the Jeep until it's fixed. Well, we could use it but only by running the risk that it would deplete all our coolant leaving us stranded at a place not of our own choosing.

We waited for Monday to roll around and I got it down to the Jeep dealer at 0730. They didn't have a factory spec pump but did get an aftermarket one. That saved us a day. I was back on the road by noon. I got some provisions at Walmart and we drove downtown to see the "Mile Zero " sign at the intersection. We also toured a museum describing some of the hardships faced by the US Army Corps of Engineers. It was just brutal dealing with the Muskeg, the mosquitos, and the bitter cold winter weather. Workers froze to death in their sleeping bags.

This road was built to defend the United States against the Japanese during World War II. It had to be built fast and to last. Personal comfort was not a factor in the equation. Afterwards we went to inspect the monument and original sign marking the beginning of the highway.

It was a relief to have confidence in our equipment as we prepared to drive North to Fort Nelson.

26 Jul 2016: We left Dawson Creek at 1030 Tuesday morning on British Columbia Highway 97 North. We were traveling on the Alcan Highway. Our first waypoint was arriving at the Kiskatinaw River bridge, a part of the original Alaska highway. We crossed the river on the 531 ft timbered structure that is the only original timber bridge built along the Alaska Highway that is still in use today.

Later we reached the District of Taylor on the banks of the Peace River, bridged by the longest water span on the highway. There is also a cantilevered bridge alongside that carries natural gas to Vancouver and Western Washington. In the midst of the river is the Peace Island Provincial Park, scene of the World's Invitational Gold Panning Championships next month. Unfortunately, my invitation did not reach me due to our travels.

At mile 4u we passed through Ft St John, a bustling town with many agricultural and gas/oil equipment businesses.

Throughout our travel North, we spied many gas and oil installations hidden by trees so as not to spoil the countryside atmosphere.

We pass over the Sikanni Chief bridge, the first permanent structure on the highway. ( From here on, "the highway" stands for the Alaskan Highway unless itherwise,noted).

As we drew near to our destination we passed Trapper's Den Wildlife Emporium reputed to have large quantities of irresistible tanned animal skins, Mukluks, Birch bark baskets and other essentials. Unfortunately it was closed by the time we got there.

Shortly thereafter we pulled into the Triple G Hideaway RV Park where we spent the night.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb